Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jørn-Anders Kløvning <kl...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/15 00:22:47 UTC

Android

Hi,

We are currently using the osgi felix on Android.
Is it possible to use Karaf in an Android context?

Best regards
Joern Anders Kloevning

Re: Android

Posted by Joern Anders Kloevning <kl...@gmail.com>.
Thank's for an inspiring video on Youbube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lreKSZMCs&t=1s
and thank's for the reply.

To be more specific, my project is actual a distributed system of
applications being able to
communicate with each other over multiple communication channels
(TCP/UDP/HTTP/Satelite/Radio etc..)
As I mentioned, I currently use OSGi Felix, but when watching your video, I
saw multiple
usecases regarding faster distribution of the application to different
devices (Android, Linux, Windows etc..), and also survilence of the
"Network" state. The distibution to Android will only be a subset of the
distribution to the desktop apps on Linux and Windows.

So to rephrase my question above, when knowing that Karaf (subset) is
Android compliant, which subset
part of Karaf Runtime/Cellar/Cave/Decanter are accessable in such a setup?

I do understand that Karaf was created for a totally differnet purpose, but
is it possible to use Karaf for the above scenarie?

--
Sent from: http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-Dev-f930721.html

Re: Android

Re: Android

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

The Karaf minimal distribution should work without problem on Android
(exactly like Felix framework directly).

Some parts of Karaf won't work out of the box, I'm thinking of the shell
for instance.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Android

Posted by jakdoe <kl...@gmail.com>.
It would have been great with a stripped Android distribution, but I'll try
to figure out..

-----
jakdoe
--
Sent from: http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-Dev-f930721.html

Re: Android

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Dear Joern,
I think there was no test for this so far. We need to take into
consideration few things. First of all Karaf is usually ran against
regular JRE/JDK distributions. Second big point is that some extensions
might pull things which will not be present on Android.

My proposal for you is to start from minimal distribution and see if it
starts properly. In case if you encounter any troubles you can try to
build a custom distribution which will strip problematic modules.

Some of modules such Karaf Features mechanism rely on presence of JAXB.
This is part which might require special care if you would like to get
it running.

Kind regards,
Łukasz

Re: Android