Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Lizann Epley <la...@uoblivion.com> on 2006/01/27 19:56:36 UTC

Tip for custom portal deployment, Jetspeed 2

Hi All,

After much trial and error, I discovered how to get my custom portal to
deploy properly. I was getting an error about the JetspeedServlet not
being found by Tomcat (5.5.12) on launch, do the portal would not
properly deploy.
Please note - this was true even using a vanilla portal generated using
the plugin.

If the portal was deployed using the jar files that maven downloaded
(compiled using JDK 1.4.2_09) then portal had the error shown above.
After compiling the release 2.0 source using JDK 1.4.2_10 the portal
deployed flawlessly. I really have no idea why this is true, but it is
reproducable.

Interstingly enough, if I download the Jetspeed 2 installer and run that
version, then the Jetspeed portal runs beautifully, even though it uses
the 1.4.2_09 jars.

This is a mysterious thing for me since I have absolutely *no*
additional java code in my custom portal - only modified psml and vm
code. Plus, I had the same problem with the vanilla portal - the only
thing customized was the portal name, etc.

I thought I would put this out in case anyone else is having a similar
issue - plus I am kind of hoping someone might have some insight. I
don't like not understanding why it happened in case there is something
in my configuration that is wrong.

Thanks & good luck!
-- Lizann

Re: Tip for custom portal deployment, Jetspeed 2

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Lizann Epley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After much trial and error, I discovered how to get my custom portal to
> deploy properly. I was getting an error about the JetspeedServlet not
> being found by Tomcat (5.5.12) on launch, do the portal would not
> properly deploy.
> Please note - this was true even using a vanilla portal generated using
> the plugin.
>
> If the portal was deployed using the jar files that maven downloaded
> (compiled using JDK 1.4.2_09) then portal had the error shown above.
> After compiling the release 2.0 source using JDK 1.4.2_10 the portal
> deployed flawlessly. I really have no idea why this is true, but it is
> reproducable.
>
> Interstingly enough, if I download the Jetspeed 2 installer and run that
> version, then the Jetspeed portal runs beautifully, even though it uses
> the 1.4.2_09 jars.
>
> This is a mysterious thing for me since I have absolutely *no*
> additional java code in my custom portal - only modified psml and vm
> code. Plus, I had the same problem with the vanilla portal - the only
> thing customized was the portal name, etc.

I think the mystery can be solved by investigating the jetspeed.log file