Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Krause <JK...@multivisioninc.com> on 2003/10/16 00:49:36 UTC

Advanced Question about tag

I have a complicated menu structure that is dynamically generated per client
on login of the webapp. Each client has a different set of folders which
don't change often but require a bit of processing to produce - so I decided
to create an include file and cache it on the server. I include that cached
HTML/Javascript menu structure with the following command:

<jsp:include page="<%= clientSession.menuPath %>" flush="true" />

This works great! However, a problem occurs when I need to update one of
these cached files because the client added or deleted a folder. Sometimes,
the pages that are returned contain the state prior to any change. If I then
refresh or go to another page, the folder structure is immediately changed.
Sometime this happens, sometimes it works right.

It seems like Tomcat is caching the contents of the file that <%=
clientSession.menuPath %> is poiting to.  I know for a fact that the browser
is not caching the page (I've included all the appropriate HTML header tags
to stop browser caching, plus there is data on the page that is changing
with each page refresh).  Also, I am not using any threads, and my updating
of the page is happening prior to the including of the page.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is ther a way to tell tomcat to always
go and get the page every time?

Joe Krause