Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Rudolph <Ch...@newsedge.com> on 2001/05/23 19:23:49 UTC

Which connector is correct for Tomcat4b5 & Apache 1.3.19 ?

When using Tomcat 4b5, which "connector" is the one that I should use to
connect
Tomcat with Apache 1.3.19 for WinNT4?  I have looked extensively through
documentation
and archives but cannot determine which connector to use.

The server.xml file that comes with Tomcat4b5 has this quoted reference:

"The MOD_WEBAPP connector is used to connect Apache 1.3 with Tomcat 4.0
       as its servlet container.  This is built by following these steps:

       - cd {TOMCAT-SRC-HOME}/connectors
       - make
       - (Edit "Makedefs" as needed for your installation)
       - make
       - su root
       - cp connectors/apache-1.3/mod_webapp.so {APACHE_HOME}/libexec
       - exit

       To configure the Apache side, you must ensure that you have a
       "ServerName" directive defined in "httpd.conf".  Then, lines like
       these to the bottom of your "httpd.conf" file:

         LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
         WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
         WebAppMount examples warpConnection /examples/

       Finally, modify the "defaultHost" attribute in the "Engine" directive
       below to match the "ServerName" setting defined in "https.conf".  The
       next time you restart Apache (after restarting Tomcat, if needed)
       the connection will be established, and all applications you make
       visible via "WebAppMount" directives can be accessed through Apache.
"

>From what I gather from this comment, mod_webapp is what the authors of
Catalina
want me to use, especially since mod_webapp is the only connector in the
src.
Also, this message in the release notes:

"--------------------
MOD_WEBAPP Connector:
--------------------"

"A new version of the Apache 1.3 side of the MOD_WEBAPP connector is
included
in this release, in the "connectors" directory.  It has not been tested
heavily yet, so it should be considered experimental."

Yet I see many references within the mail list regarding
mod_jk or mod_jserv, and almost nothing regarding mod_webapp.
Is anyone using it?
Is there some documentation site on mod_webapp that I can visit?
(I found nothing about it one the Jakarta web site.)
Any *gotchas* with regards to this?
I would deeply appreciate any experience or insights that users might have.
Thanks in advance.

-Christian

Christian Rudolph
Software Engineer