Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by D Caers <dc...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/12 23:52:41 UTC

ods-file

hi all,

I losted an ods.file, all null values in the file.
all data overwritten.
this is unacceptable
it happens after your Open Office displayed a pop-up as if I am a new user
ansd asked for name etc.
I really do not know how I can restore a previous version of the file.
do you ?
unfortunately, I do not have a back up.
I hope we can arrange this because this file is really important to me.

kind regards,
D Caers

Re: ods-file

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:52:41 +0100
D Caers <dc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I losted an ods.file, all null values in the file.
> all data overwritten.
> this is unacceptable
> it happens after your Open Office displayed a pop-up as if I am a new user
> ansd asked for name etc.
> I really do not know how I can restore a previous version of the file.
> do you ?
> unfortunately, I do not have a back up.
> I hope we can arrange this because this file is really important to me.
>
> kind regards,
> D Caers

The pop-up asking for your name and initials was a sign that the last time you used OpenOffice you powered off the computer before the OpenOffice user profile (OpenOffice's housekeeping) was written to disk; there are software/hardware write buffers which the computer needs to flush to disk before power off. That the file is all null values indicates that your computer close down was even earlier, before OO had done more than allocate sp​ace for the file.

To try and recover your file, you should look in the backup and temporary directories pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. Rename any files in those to type .odt (or whatever file type you were using) and see if they contain your data. Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not).
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>