Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de> on 2007/08/08 10:28:46 UTC

[Trinidad] inputText with readOnly="true" and limited width shows strange behaviour

Hello everyone,

is this a bug or am I missing something? The situation is as follows:

		contentStyle="width: 50px;" readOnly="true">

The text then exceeds the actual text area as shown in the screenshot (note
that
the read-only text area background is slightly darker than the rest...).

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12049157/inputTextReadOnly.jpg

If readOnly isn't set (or false), then everything is as expected as again
shown in the screenshot (only 50 px of text are shown, but you can access
the rest via mouse/keyboard):

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12049157/inputText.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Carsten

Re: [Trinidad] inputText with readOnly="true" and limited width shows strange behaviour

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hi Martin,

readOnly="true" results in this HTML:

org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><table id="_id28__xc_"
class="af_inputText p_AFReadOnly" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"
summary=""><tr>
inputText</td>

class="AFContentCell"><!--Start:
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><div id="_id28"
class="af_inputText_content" style="width: 50px;">Hello inputText</div></td>
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><tr>

org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--></td>

and readOnly="false" in this:

org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><table id="_id28__xc_"
class="af_inputText" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"
summary=""><tr>

class="AFContentCell"><!--Start:
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><input id="_id28" name="_id28"
class="af_inputText_content" style="width: 50px;" size="30" type="text"
value="Hello inputText"></td>
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--><tr>

org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.Input["_id28"]--></td>

Thanks,
Carsten

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carsten,

what is the rendered HTML-output of both cases for this field?

regards,

Martin

On 8/8/07, Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> is this a bug or am I missing something? The situation is as follows:

>                 contentStyle="width: 50px;" readOnly="true">
>
> The text then exceeds the actual text area as shown in the screenshot (note
> that
> the read-only text area background is slightly darker than the rest...).
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12049157/inputTextReadOnly.jpg
>
> If readOnly isn't set (or false), then everything is as expected as again
> shown in the screenshot (only 50 px of text are shown, but you can access
> the rest via mouse/keyboard):
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12049157/inputText.jpg
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Carsten

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [Trinidad] inputText with readOnly="true" and limited width shows strange behaviour

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hi Martin,

> you might also want to try with:
>
> display:block;
> overflow:hidden;
yes, that seems nicer, thanks again!

So, to sum up, the only way to get the complete text out with read-only
fields
who aren't long enough for the actual text, is to provide it via the tooltip
(shortDesc)?

Best regards, Carsten

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Thanks Martin,

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hello Sandeep, thanks so far!

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Thanks Matthias,

> is that Firefox only ?
good point! Indeed, my screenshots have been made from Firefox. In IE6 the
behaviour
is different: The text area grows as wide as the actual text i.e. the
defined width (via
contentStyle) is ignored. However, at a first glance that looks better than
the texts
exceeding the text area...

> try something like width: 90%;
Er, in fear of missing a joke, where does that leave my desired width (50px
in the example)?

Best regards,
Carsten

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Pixel-Schubser works :-)

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Carsten wants to have the exact number of pixels, I heavily suppose ;)

There is javascript functionality e.g. in Dojo which counts the
character which fit in a specified width - you could try applying a
function like this.

regards,

Martin

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.