Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Vinutha Nagaraju <Vi...@Sun.COM> on 2009/11/11 14:07:09 UTC

Is Security issue applicable to Xerces 2.6.0 ?

Hi,

This is regarding the security issue on Xerces-C++ which was reported by
CERT-FI.
http://www.cert.fi/en/reports/2009/vulnerability2009085.html

I have received a test case from CERT-FI which contains the sample xml
file with the faulty line which can cause a crash. I have been able to
reproduce the segmentation fault on Xerces 2.7.0. However we are using
Xerces 2.6.0 within our Web Server product. Hence tried the same steps
to reproduce it in 2.6.0 but instead of the crash I could see the
following error message printed. This was the same error message I got
after patching 2.7.0 as well.
bash-3.00$ ./SAXPrint ./xerces-crash.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="LATIN1"?>

Fatal Error at file
/iws_share/vinu/xerces/2.6.0/solaris/xerces-c-src_2_6_0/bin/
xerces-crash.xml, line 2, char 65564
 Message: Expected an element name

Is this vulnerability applicable to 2.6.0 or not ? Without it being
reproduced if we have to change the xerces in our product, it would mean
a lot of effort of patching and rebuilding 2.6.0 on all platforms. Hence
I kindly request someone to provide their expert comment on this.

Note: Due to security reasons I cannot attach the test case. Please
email your PGP key and I can send you the test case.

Thanks,
Vinu

Re: Is Security issue applicable to Xerces 2.6.0 ?

Posted by Vinutha Nagaraju <Vi...@Sun.COM>.
On 11/12/09 16:47, Alberto Massari wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if Xerces 2.x implemented "make distclean"
> differently from what you would expect. Have you tried adding an
> explicit "gmake clean" before distclean?

I use the same steps to build a fresh 2.6.0 workspace with the patch.
That works. Which means the segmentation fault which was appearing on
the fresh workspace, returns the error message after patch is applied.
But when I do the reverse the same gmake steps don't work..Don't know
how that is possible though. That is what confused me. I have tried this
already 2-3 times now..
Let me try out your suggestion.

Thanks,
Vinu