Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2011/03/01 14:52:22 UTC

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Le 28 févr. 2011 à 17:08, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

> On 2011-02-28, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

[strip]

>> So basically it is about having somewhere in svn the sources of the
>> website. A buildbot job then takes care of building the html files and
>> commit them into a "staging" branch. The staging branch is published
>> via svnpubsub to staging.apache.org. Then we can trigger a merge of
>> the staging branch into a production one. Another buildbot build the
>> html file and again a svnpubsub push it to www.apache.org.
>
> Is "trigger a merge" something one does while looking at the staging
> side or a manula "svn merge"?

There is a "trigger a merge" on the CMS HTTP API. Behind the scene it is about an actual merge an commit. I suppose that in that API you specify which change you want to merge.

[strip]

>> Then the simplest move may be to:
>> * make ant/core/trunk/docs/ the staging website for Ant
>> * make ant/core/branches/ANT_SITE/docs/ the production website for Ant
>
> Seems to mirror closely what we currently have - or once had, by now
> trunk is the production source IIUC.

yep
[hibou@minotaur:/www/ant.apache.org]$ svn info | grep URL

>> Or we can change the layout:
>> * ant/site/core/sources
>> * ant/site/core/staging
>> * ant/site/core/production
>> * ant/site/ivy/sources
>> * ant/site/ivy/staging
>> * ant/site/ivy/production

I think I will suggest to have also a such layout for IvyDE so the file tree in Ivy site would be less huge (13631 as for now):
* ant/site/ivyde/sources
* ant/site/ivyde/staging
* ant/site/ivyde/production

Maybe in Ivy's site we can try to get rid of some useless "history". What about getting rid of every RC ?

>> But this would mean some tweaks in the current build of ant since the
>> website is packaged in the distribution.
>
> Would work for me as well.  Ant could even automate the staging process
> from sources since running Anakia should be straight forward inside
> buildbot.

I don't know much about Anakia, but would it handle correctly renamed paged ? Would it correctly delete the html files corresponding to the removed xdoc pages ? And would it handle correctly that if you change only the template, it has too regenerate the entire site ?

About ant's doc, maybe we do like Ivy. Ivy does embed its doc into the distribution while also exposing it on the website. In svn, the Ivy docs (the source, not the generated html files) are maintained here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/core/trunk/doc/
And in the source of Ivy's site, there is a svn:external in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/site/history/

Maybe we can do that for Ant too. So the manual would be maintained in ant/core/trunk/manual
And have a svn:external in ant/site/core/sources

And I just found that : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site
What its status, its history ?

Nicolas

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Nicolas,

On 3/23/2011 5:28 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> ant.apache.org is now managed via svnpubsub ! :)

this is great. Let me try to use it.
Antoine

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Website and svnpubsub

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-03-01, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> I don't know much about Anakia, but would it handle correctly renamed
> paged ? Would it correctly delete the html files corresponding to the
> removed xdoc pages ?

We don't remove or rename pages ;-) The whole internet would collapse if
people suddenly started to remove pages that other people link to, you
know?

> And would it handle correctly that if you change only the template, it
> has too regenerate the entire site ?

Sometimes it does, but not always.  I can't remember which way around it
is.  Either it regenerates everything if you change priject.xml but
doesn't do so if you change the .vm files or the other way around.

> About ant's doc, maybe we do like Ivy. Ivy does embed its doc into the
> distribution while also exposing it on the website. In svn, the Ivy
> docs (the source, not the generated html files) are maintained here:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/core/trunk/doc/ And in the
> source of Ivy's site, there is a svn:external in
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/site/history/

That would work.  We'd even only need the externals in the tags/branches
for releases.

> And I just found that : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site
> What its status, its history ?

Its history[1] is an attempt to pull together the Anakia generated pages
from trunk and the manual from the latest release while providing all
the stuff needed to run Anakia.  This was created around the time we
released the first Antlibs as I envisioned they'd create bigger websites
themselves (i.e. more than one page) - this never happened.

For reasons I can't remember I ran out of steam before finishing the
idea.  Antoine used to update this part from time to time but in reality
it turned out to be easier to just keep everything in trunk and forget
about the separation.

Stefan

[1] http://marc.info/?t=115630847900001&r=1&w=2