Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> on 2007/04/23 22:57:26 UTC

Re: opentaps licensing model [Questions about the future of ofbiz]

Since this turned into a discussion about opentaps, I'd like to explain
the opentaps licensing and business model a little better, for the
benefit of everybody in the OFBIZ community.

The opentaps licensing model is a way we thought of to increase the
total body of openly available software, hopefully to the benefit of
everybody.  Our goal is not to exclude anybody, whether you are a user,
a service provider, or a vertical market ISV, from using our software.
Rather, it is to create a fair  mechanism for encouraging contributions
back to the open source community and supporting open source
development.  (It is actually a more sophisticated form of some early
cost-sharing models we tried two years ago but simply didn't work.)

If you are thinking of creating a commercial product which falls out of
the scope of our open source license, we have a couple of options:

(a) We offer a commercial license which is a small fraction of the cost
for you to create these applications yourself or hiring a consultant to
do it for you.  With this license, you do not have any obligations to
publish your proprietary code.  All our commercial licensing revenues,
in turn, help support ongoing development and support for open source
software, to the benefit of everybody.

(b) Alternatively, you could contribute features back to us in exchange
for commercial licenses, and we offer very generous terms of exchange
which will give you a good return on your investment in those features
and save you from "reinventing the wheel" first.  In effect, you'll be
joining us in the development of opentaps.

Of course, please do not mistake any of this for trying to dissuade
anybody from contributing back to OFBIZ.  I've spent three plus years
trying to get more contributions to OFBIZ, and, obviously, the better
OFBIZ is, the better off we are.  However, if you want to use opentaps
but don't want to create an open source product based on it yourself, I
do not want you to feel that we are trying to exclude you either.

Si Chen

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Chris,

Nice read, those articles from Fabrizio Capobianco.

I'm more concerned about the diff between ASL and HPL, than GPL and HPL.

Frankly, I'm totally confused, and I often don't know what to do about balancing community benefit
and commercial bottom lines. I do find myself simply working for the highest bidder. More often
than not, I've benefited commercial players more than community players, which is sad.

Ultimately, I just wanna have some fun doing what I'm good at, and that's not law (or monopoly
either).

OT here, please don't respond on ML, just musings. I wonder if GPL will ever make HPL unnecessary.
And I wonder if the world is crumbling (what with new disruptive weather/climate) because I'm not
helping to do something about it.

Jonathon

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.