Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Manolis Gemeliaris <ge...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/25 00:38:03 UTC

New Contributor

Hi all ,

My name is Manolis Gemeliaris , I'm a software engineering student and I'm
willing to contribute to the Apache Spark Project. I don't have any prior
experience with contributing to open source.
I have prior experience with Java , R (just a little) and Python (just a
little)  and currently studying Scala in coursera
<https://www.coursera.org/specializations/scala>.

Following the contributing page of the project
<http://spark.apache.org/contributing.html> , I would like to ask for a
reccomendation on where to start , a possible issue I could begin with
maybe ?

Thanks in advance and please tell me if I'm doing something wrong here
(maybe I'm in the wrong place after all) - just a bit anxious as a
first-timer.

Re: New Contributor

Posted by "K. Omair Muhi" <om...@gmail.com>.
Hello Manolis,

I'm a new subscriber to this mailing list as well and I read on the Apache
web-page that one can begin with following these mailing lists and help out
other new users by pointing them to the right documentation or maybe go
through some documentation yourself in order to answer someone's question
(good learning experience).

This will help build your reputation before you start contributing code.
Also, another thing that you can do is sign up for getting added to code
reviews (as observer), this will also help expose you to some code and
perhaps provide some feedback during a code review if possible.

Just my 0.02.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Omair