Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu> on 2001/10/09 12:00:14 UTC

Tomcat startup/shutdown

Hi all.

Is it just me, or does anybody else have a problem with startup/shutdown scripts on all versions of Tomcat?

Namely, ./bin/startup.sh and ./bin/shutdown.sh have the following:

BASEDIR=`dirname $0`
$BASEDIR/catalina.sh start "$@"

This is not ENOUGH to run catalina.sh. Actually, catalina.sh is happy with this, but "org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" needs "-config ..." option set on the command line.

Rather than typing it manually, one should add it to both of these scripts, *after* "start" parameter - catalina.sh is not very flexible. I've noticed some more problems with this, maybe it is the shell/pwd thing, I don't know, but it is best to supply an absolute path for config file.

Why is this lacking in all versions of Tomcat?
Am I the only one having this problem (Digital UNIX, custom build everything)?

Nix.

Re: Tomcat startup/shutdown

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:00:14 +0200
> From: Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat startup/shutdown
>
> Hi all.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else have a problem with
> startup/shutdown scripts on all versions of Tomcat?
>
> Namely, ./bin/startup.sh and ./bin/shutdown.sh have the following:
>
> BASEDIR=`dirname $0`
> $BASEDIR/catalina.sh start "$@"
>
> This is not ENOUGH to run catalina.sh. Actually, catalina.sh is happy
> with this, but "org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" needs "-config
> ..." option set on the command line.

Catalina's Bootstrap class doesn't even use the "-config" option.
Are you perhaps thinking of Tomcat 3.x?

> Rather than typing it manually, one should add it to both of these scripts, *after* "start" parameter - catalina.sh is not very flexible. I've noticed some more problems with this, maybe it is the shell/pwd thing, I don't know, but it is best to supply an absolute path for config file.
>
> Why is this lacking in all versions of Tomcat? Am I the only one
> having this problem (Digital UNIX, custom build everything)?

                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This might be part of the issue.  The existing scripts work fine for me on
Linux and Solaris, either with CATALINA_HOME set or without.  I haven't
heard anyone else with this issue either.

> Nix.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Tomcat startup/shutdown

Posted by Allan Kamau <hu...@yahoo.com>.
Once you set the value of $CATALINA_HOME for tomcat
4.0 or $TOMCAT_HOME in 3.x to point to the root
direction of your tomcat installation in your OS login
scripts like the '/etc/profile', loggoff then log on.
You will then be able to start tomcat from any pwd you
are in you simply execute the startup.sh or
shutdown.sh specifying the whole path to the file, or
simply write
<shell>
$ $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh &
</shell>
and there you are.

Allan Kamau.

wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else have a problem
> with startup/shutdown scripts on all versions of
> Tomcat?
>
> Namely, ./bin/startup.sh and ./bin/shutdown.sh have
> the following:
>
> BASEDIR=`dirname $0`
> $BASEDIR/catalina.sh start "$@"
>
> This is not ENOUGH to run catalina.sh. Actually,
> catalina.sh is happy with this, but
> "org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" needs
> "-config ..." option set on the command line.
>
> Rather than typing it manually, one should add it to
> both of these scripts, *after* "start" parameter -
> catalina.sh is not very flexible. I've noticed some
> more problems with this, maybe it is the shell/pwd
> thing, I don't know, but it is best to supply an
> absolute path for config file.
>
> Why is this lacking in all versions of Tomcat?
> Am I the only one having this problem (Digital UNIX,
> custom build everything)?
>
> Nix.
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-pkcs7-signature
name=smime.p7s

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1