Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net> on 2006/01/01 23:14:05 UTC

Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...

David Jencks wrote:

> I thought I'd have some fun looking at how to do the geronimo
> security integration, so I started out by trying to build jetspeed
> and get it running on something.  Here are a few comments that might
> help out other new users.
>
> The documentation uniformly claims that hslqldb is the default db,
> but the build appears to use derby.  This makes me distrust
> everything the documentation says.
>
> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
> of the plugin that uses them is executed?

We should clearly separate build and deployment properties so that a
build can be run without having tomcat (jetty in the future) available
on the build machine.
Since we plan to update the build procedure we should keep that in mind.

In addition a build (checkout) should run without any settings in the
~/build.properties file.