Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bill Milbratz <bm...@outstart.com> on 2005/02/22 17:51:29 UTC

let it flow? struts-flow vs. struts-workflow vs. other

Hi,

I need to implement wizard-ish UI in our application. I looked briefly
at struts-workflow and struts-flow. I wanted to pick the hive-mind to
see for opinions on these tools/extensions.

Here's some discussion fodder from my brief look at the two tools.
Anyone care to comment or point me towards a writeup?

struts-workflow
-looks like it provides good functionality. (I like the workflow scope,
particularly).
-configuration is somewhat counterintuitive, but it uses the "plain old"
struts-config.xml

struts-flow
-configuration code is in javascript. (i.e. introduces a new
paradigm/language for server side programming)
-may be better for people who already use cocoon.
-hard to find documentation
-more "official" struts project? (i.e. struts home points to
"struts-flow" project page)

thanks,

bill m

Re: let it flow? struts-flow vs. struts-workflow vs. other

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
I'm biased, but I would be interested to hear your experience using
Struts Flow.  I've used it for several applications for almost a year
now and am quite happy.  The documentation, of course, needs work, but
I'm hoping to address that with the next release which adds all sorts
of things.

That said, if your developers don't know Javascript and you don't need
the expressiveness of a full-blown programming language, it might not
be your first choice.

Don