Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/07 00:48:41 UTC

svn commit - (no author)

The last few commits into my 1.1.0 svn repository posted logs without authors.

For example:
r10 | (no author) | 2004-10-06 17:29:01 -0700 (Wed, 06 Oct 2004) | 8 lines

is the beginning of a couple log entries.  Did I mess up my .svn
directory somehow?  Is this a sign that something more significant is
broken?

I'm assuming I can go back and change the author with some kind of
prop edit, but wouldn't that kind of feature be 'dangerous' under more
strict circumstances?

~Thanks

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> writes:
> -but I still only get:
>
> $ svn propset -r 9 --revprop svn:author "author"
> svn: 'pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:

Can you erase everything and *just* try to do one thing: echo a short
bit of text into a file in /tmp, for example

   echo "the script ran" >> /tmp/mytest.txt

Once we know it can do that, we can start adding stuff.

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com>.
For the record just adding this line to the template file:

if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:author" ]; then exit 0; fi

fixed the problem.

I might as well ask what a better chmod code to use is though...  777
just feels sloppy.

-Thanks

--
Druin Estrus - www.druinestrus.com

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com>.
> REPOS should be a regular path to the repos, not a URL.
I actually tried that earlier and figured the URL was safest, but
neither worked.

> But why are you hard-setting them at all?  Why not do what the
> template says to do?
I started to hard-set them all because the script was not working.  I
don't understand what the script is telling me to do.  It just says
what happens.

svn propset requires this hook no matter what.  It isn't like I
started messing with this to see what happens.  It doesn't matter that
this property has no history and will be lost when I overwrite it, so
the script doesn't really serve a purpose at this time.  I don't plan
on calling other programs to back up the lost data.

The file is executable and not on a windows system, I don't know what
else the script is telling 'me' to do.  I'm a *nix newbie, so nothing
is obvious.

I thought the template starts with and protects the svn:log, because
the log property is special and has lots of other forms of
modification.

Was it expected that I would want to add a:

if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:author" ]; then <{do lots of stuff that
doesn't apply}> exit 0; fi

I just know that svn isn't happy and won't let me change the author property.

Should I just delete what is in the script and feed svn and empty
pre-revprop-change script?

'echo "Failing due to wrong property" 1>&2' worked fine:

$ svn propset -r 9 --revprop svn:author "author"
svn: 'pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:
Failing due to wrong property

$

chmod 777:

$ ls -l
total 24
-rw-r--r--    1 author users        1411 Sep 30 17:17 post-commit.tmpl
-rw-r--r--    1 author users        1475 Sep 30 17:17 post-revprop-change.tmpl
-rw-r--r--    1 author users        2336 Sep 30 17:17 pre-commit.tmpl
-rwxrwxrwx    1 author users        2102 Oct 13 13:36 pre-revprop-change
-rw-r--r--    1 author users        1952 Sep 30 17:17 pre-revprop-change.tmpl
-rw-r--r--    1 author users        1533 Sep 30 17:17 start-commit.tmpl

On 13 Oct 2004 14:46:42 -0500, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
> v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> writes:
> > $ svn propset -r 9 --revprop svn:author "author"
> > svn: 'pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:
> >
> > $
> >
> > "Failing due to wrong property" is not displayed since the script
> > probably isn't being executed at all for some reason.
>
> I'd still like to see that 'ls -l' of the executable version.
>
> -Karl

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by Dominic Anello <da...@danky.com>.
On 2004-10-13 17:02:09 -0400, Dominic Anello wrote:
> If you want to see error output, you have to write it to STDERR, like
> this:
> echo "Failing due to wrong property" 2>&1

Oops, got that backwards, should have been:
echo "Failing due to wrong property" 1>&2

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by Dominic Anello <da...@danky.com>.

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com>.
So the body of my script is back to:

REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"
USER="$3"
PROPNAME="$4"

if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:log" ]; then exit 0; fi
echo "Failing due to wrong property"
exit 1

-but I still only get:

$ svn propset -r 9 --revprop svn:author "author"
svn: 'pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:

$

"Failing due to wrong property" is not displayed since the script
probably isn't being executed at all for some reason.

v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> writes:
> I just chmod 777'ed it.
>
> $ ls -IR
> post-commit.tmpl          pre-commit.tmpl     pre-revprop-change.tmpl
> post-revprop-change.tmpl  pre-revprop-change  start-commit.tmpl

Wanted 'lR' not 'IR' :-).

> and, as expected, still get the same response:
>
> $ svn propset -r 9 --revprop svn:author "author"
> svn: 'pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:
>
> $

Hmmm... In your script:

> REPOS="file:///example/svn/repo/project/trunk"
> REV="9"
> USER="author"
> PROPNAME="svn:author"
>
> if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:log" ]; then exit 0; fi
> exit 1
>
> Instead of:
>
> REPOS="$1"
> REV="$2"
> USER="$3"
> PROPNAME="$4"
>
> if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:log" ]; then exit 0; fi
> exit 1

REPOS should be a regular path to the repos, not a URL.

But why are you hard-setting them at all?  Why not do what the
template says to do?

Secondly, you should be getting an exit with error (1), because you
hard set PROPNAME to "svn:author", and then you test for "svn:log".
And when you exit with error, you print no output, which is exactly
the symptom you're seeing...

This all seems fairly obvious.  Am I missing something?

-Karl

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com>.
I just chmod 777'ed it.

On 13 Oct 2004 13:04:16 -0500, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
> v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> writes:
> > My modified *.tmpl file is simply in the project's repo/hooks
> > directory.  There are just the original 5 template script files and my
> > slightly modified version with no .tmpl file extension within this
> > directory.
> >
> > $ ls -all
> > total 32
> > drwxr-xr-x    2 author users        4096 Oct 13 11:06 .
> > drwxr-xr-x    7 author users        4096 Sep 30 17:17 ..
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        1411 Sep 30 17:17 post-commit.tmpl
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        1475 Sep 30 17:17 post-revprop-change.tmpl
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        2336 Sep 30 17:17 pre-commit.tmpl
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        2017 Oct 13 11:06 pre-revprop-change
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        1952 Sep 30 17:17 pre-revprop-change.tmpl
> > -rw-r--r--    1 author users        1533 Sep 30 17:17 start-commit.tmpl
> >
> > I modified pre-revprop-change's executability permissions before, and
> > it still gave the same error response, so I left it as is.
>
> Oh, it absolutely needs to be executable.  Change it back, and show us
> the 'ls -lR' afterwards just for sanity checking.  We can try other
> solutions if it's still not working.
>
> -Karl

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by Patrick Smears <pa...@ensoft.co.uk>.

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by v4r4n <co...@gmail.com>.
My pre-revprop-change script is just the original pre-revprop-change.tmpl with:

REPOS="file:///example/svn/repo/project/trunk"
REV="9"
USER="author"
PROPNAME="svn:author"

if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:log" ]; then exit 0; fi
exit 1

Instead of:

REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"
USER="$3"
PROPNAME="$4"

if [ "$PROPNAME" = "svn:log" ]; then exit 0; fi
exit 1

When I first tried the command without a pre-revprop-change script it
complained that it couldn't find one, so it is finding the script, but
now it isn't telling me what is failing.

I'm not sure what you mean by the contents and full directory entry
listing including my script.

On 13 Oct 2004 12:03:40 -0500, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
> v4r4n <co...@gmail.com> writes:
> > bump bump
> >
> > Do I need to set up the post-revprop-change as well?
>
> No.
>
> > It seems there might also be a "revision property modifications" flag
> > that needs to be enabled somewhere?
> >
> > $ svn propset -r N --revprop svn:author "author"
> >
> > just isn't working.  It is nice that it tells me there is an error,
> > but error response is blank...
>
> What does your 'pre-revprop-change' script look like?  Show us both
> the contents and a full directory entry listing including that file.
>
> -Karl

Re: svn commit - (no author)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: svn commit - (no author)