Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/05/13 10:50:17 UTC

Publication Template for Lenya

Hi Forrest developers,

recently I posted some RTs to the Apache Lenya list about
creating a Forrest publication template (publication
is something like the CMS environment for a website):

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/189
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/194

If you don't know Lenya: http://www.lenya.org

This would be a skeleton of a Forrest website including
all required Lenya features (e.g., browser-based editing using
Xopus). My idea is not to copy and manipulate this
skeleton but to keep the site and the template separated
(template files can be overriden by website files).

Existing Forrest sites that use the preset sitemaps and
stylesheets could be used within Lenya by just copying
the content and skins. Maybe it will even be sufficient
to add the site path to a Lenya configuration file, along
with some minor changes - but we would have to try that out.

My questions are:

- Do you think the Forrest community will benefit from
   such a publication template?

- Is anybody interested in helping me setting it up
   (IMHO the best way would be a build target for Forrest)?

- I would try to take care of maintaining the template
   and keeping it up to date, but it would be great if I
   wasn't the only one.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Publication Template for Lenya

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 14/05/2003 15.16:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> Our goal is to "package" a system that makes sites and docs. ATM we
>> use Cocoon, that has proved to be very versatile and adaptable. WE
>> also use Ant, but would like to move to doing all in Cocoon.
>
> What features do you want to move to Cocoon?

Not sure if this is the full list, but basically it's the filtering that
Ant does and all other tasks that are needed to make Forrest run.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Publication Template for Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Our goal is to "package" a system that makes sites and docs. ATM we use
> Cocoon, that has proved to be very versatile and adaptable. WE also use
> Ant, but would like to move to doing all in Cocoon.

What features do you want to move to Cocoon?

> Lenya is another "tool" but that builds on top of Cocoon. It adds CMS
> capabilities to Cocoon.
>
> With this in mind, it's very easy to conclude that it would be immensly
> beneficial for Forrest to be able to use Lenya as a CMS subsystem. Any
> patch that brings us in that direction is highly welcome :-)

It seems that my ideas will have a future :)

I hope we will arrive at a state that all of you can sucessfully setup
Lenya and see what it's capable of. In the meantime, I will implement a
prototype of the mentioned publication template to see how the Lenya
community thinks about it.

Thanks for your replies!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/05/2003 13.54:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:50:17AM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>- Do you think the Forrest community will benefit from
>>  such a publication template?
>
> I have never gotten Lenya to work properly (Bitflux doesn't like me), so
> don't really understand.  I'm happy to commit anything that you feel is
> beneficial to either project, and maintain it as far as I understand how
> to.

Same here.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/05/2003 13.54:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:50:17AM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>- Do you think the Forrest community will benefit from
>>  such a publication template?
>
> I have never gotten Lenya to work properly (Bitflux doesn't like me), so
> don't really understand.  I'm happy to commit anything that you feel is
> beneficial to either project, and maintain it as far as I understand how
> to.

Same here.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:50:17AM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Forrest developers,
>
> recently I posted some RTs to the Apache Lenya list about
> creating a Forrest publication template (publication
> is something like the CMS environment for a website):
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/189
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/194
>
> If you don't know Lenya: http://www.lenya.org
>
> This would be a skeleton of a Forrest website including
> all required Lenya features (e.g., browser-based editing using
> Xopus). My idea is not to copy and manipulate this
> skeleton but to keep the site and the template separated
> (template files can be overriden by website files).
>
> Existing Forrest sites that use the preset sitemaps and
> stylesheets could be used within Lenya by just copying
> the content and skins. Maybe it will even be sufficient
> to add the site path to a Lenya configuration file, along
> with some minor changes - but we would have to try that out.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Do you think the Forrest community will benefit from
>   such a publication template?

I have never gotten Lenya to work properly (Bitflux doesn't like me), so
don't really understand.  I'm happy to commit anything that you feel is
beneficial to either project, and maintain it as far as I understand how
to.

--Jeff