Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Arnold, Curt" <Cu...@hyprotech.com> on 2000/10/20 00:16:48 UTC

RE: [off-topic] UML to XML schema mapping? - End the crosspost

Have to slam you for cross-posting.  I don't know anyone who is on all three lists, but I'm on two.  You may get nasty responses for the schema-ig if you aren't a W3C member.  This question would be
best be asked on xml-dev or maybe xmlschema-dev.	Cross-posting also does not let any consistent thread develop, so if there is any follow up, lets move the topic to xml-dev.

Rational had a white paper that basically added stereotypes like <<element>>, etc http://www.rational.com/uml/resources/documentation/index.jsp.

XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) section of the UML spec in essence defines a mapping from the domain model to a XML instance document.  Tools exist that implement this mapping to a DTD, however it
would be possible to map this to a Schema.  I personally don't like the XMI style which results in very long tag names and does not support out of document links.

And I have developed a own set of UML->XML mapping patterns and tools that implement them for use within my company, but they are not publically available.