Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au> on 2002/10/10 00:54:23 UTC

What's in the future for Velocity?

Hi All,

Personally I can't think of many (if any) thing that I would want improved
in Velocity, but I'm just curious if the dev team (I assume it's not just
Geir?!) has anything cool in the works (or even ideas) for Velocity the
would like to share.  I know the goal  in Velocity is it's simplicity and by
adding more into it you defeat that goal, but just wondering.

Thanks again for a great product.

Paul

Re: What's in the future for Velocity?

Posted by Rodrigo Reyes <ro...@instaservi.com>.
Hi
    I have been using Velocity recently, and I found it really amazing.
Still, I think documentation could be better. For example, the "!" operator
should be explained (or at least, menctioned). It would also be nice to show
how some simple control structures could be emulated using foreach (for()
and while() basicly). I know any good developer should be able to figure
this out, but it would be a nice touch since once developers know how to do
it they will stop searching around internet for some #while or #for
structures. One more thing: I think I read that there are some macro
Libraries around, but they are not mectioned in the User's guide. They
should be.
    Who is in charge of Velocity documentation? I could give a hand with
those things... Hope this helps...

Rodrigo

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: What's in the future for Velocity?

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ma...@libero.it>.
Paul Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Personally I can't think of many (if any) thing that I would want improved
> in Velocity, but I'm just curious if the dev team (I assume it's not just
> Geir?!) has anything cool in the works (or even ideas) for Velocity the
> would like to share.  I know the goal  in Velocity is it's simplicity and by
> adding more into it you defeat that goal, but just wondering.
>
> Thanks again for a great product.

... and in the same vein, is there a 'wish list' that we can contribute to?
For instance, it would make my life easier if #macros could accept
variable numbers of arguments a la JavaScript, or, at least, interpret
missing arguments as null strings rather than throwing parse errors.

But, I have to agree with Paul that Velocity's minimalist design is a
major strength of the product, and I wouldn't want that to change!

Martin