Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Marc Saegesser <Ma...@apropos.com> on 2002/02/20 01:02:33 UTC

RE: [httpclient] More HttpMultiClient patches - initial strict m ode stuff

I haven't had a chance to look at the existing test cases in depth yet.  I
should be able to duplicate the existing test cases for the HttpMethod based
stuff into tests for the HttpUrlMethod classes without much trouble.  I'll
see what I can do.

The other stuff is a little harder to test.  For example, testing the 100
status respose thing requires finding a server that repeatably sends the
response at the unexpected time.  The only one I have right now is my online
banking site and I'm not posting my username/password for that site into the
test cases :-)  Same thing for the broken relative Location header.

As for time to deal with this stuff.  I've been a jakarta-tomcat committer
for over year.  I worked primarily on the 3.2.x stuff and since that's now
over I've got time to spend elsewhere.  Since I'm working heavily on
HttpClient for my own application I'd be more than happy to help out around
here if the other committers will have me.

Marc Saegesser

Posted by Marc Paquette <mp...@covansys.com>.

Marc Saegesser wrote:

>I haven't had a chance to look at the existing test cases in depth yet.  I
>should be able to duplicate the existing test cases for the HttpMethod based
>stuff into tests for the HttpUrlMethod classes without much trouble.  I'll
>see what I can do.
>
>The other stuff is a little harder to test.  For example, testing the 100
>status respose thing requires finding a server that repeatably sends the
>response at the unexpected time.  The only one I have right now is my online
>banking site and I'm not posting my username/password for that site into the
>test cases :-)  Same thing for the broken relative Location header.
>
>As for time to deal with this stuff.  I've been a jakarta-tomcat committer
>for over year.  I worked primarily on the 3.2.x stuff and since that's now
>over I've got time to spend elsewhere.  Since I'm working heavily on
>HttpClient for my own application I'd be more than happy to help out around
>here if the other committers will have me.

I've tried to apply you patches, but they had conflicts with the latest
(as of yesterday) codebase (mostly because calling log.debug() is now
conditional on log.isDebugEnabled()).  Also, I'v subscribed to this list
between your first set of patches and the latest one for
HttpMultiClient, therefore I'm missing half the stuff :-(  If the
patches as a whole, coherent set against the latest codebase could be
supplied, it would be easier to try it (at least for me).

>Marc Saegesser

Marc Paquette
Conseiller Principal, Architecture de solutions, WEI
Tel: 514-288-4680 x2028 (boite vocale: 8008)
mpaquett@covansys.com

Re: [httpclient] More HttpMultiClient patches - initial strict m ode stuff

Posted by Marc Paquette <mp...@covansys.com>.

Marc Saegesser wrote:

>I haven't had a chance to look at the existing test cases in depth yet.  I
>should be able to duplicate the existing test cases for the HttpMethod based
>stuff into tests for the HttpUrlMethod classes without much trouble.  I'll
>see what I can do.
>
>The other stuff is a little harder to test.  For example, testing the 100
>status respose thing requires finding a server that repeatably sends the
>response at the unexpected time.  The only one I have right now is my online
>banking site and I'm not posting my username/password for that site into the
>test cases :-)  Same thing for the broken relative Location header.

As for status-code = 100, Orion (www.orionserver.com) does send a 100
followed by a 200 responding to POST (tested with 1.5.2).   Here is an
output with httpclient.simplelog.defaultlog=INFO running test-local with
the test webapp installed in an Orion 1.5.2 server:

2002/02/20 09:49:19:928 EST [INFO] >> "POST /httpclienttest/params HTTP/1.1
"
2002/02/20 09:49:19:929 EST [INFO] >> "Host: napa
"
2002/02/20 09:49:19:933 EST [INFO] >> "Content-Length: 0
"
2002/02/20 09:49:19:934 EST [INFO] >> "User-Agent: Jakarta HTTP
Client/2.0.0a1
"
2002/02/20 09:49:19:934 EST [INFO] >> \r\n
2002/02/20 09:49:20:040 EST [INFO] << "HTTP/1.1 100 Continue" [\r\n]
2002/02/20 09:49:20:041 EST [INFO] << "Server: Orion/1.5.2" [\r\n]
2002/02/20 09:49:20:042 EST [INFO] << "Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:49:19
GMT" [\r\n]
2002/02/20 09:49:20:043 EST [INFO] << "HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:49:19 GMT
Server: Orion/1.5.2
Connection: Close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

"
2002/02/20 09:49:20:130 EST [INFO] << "ab

0

"
2002/02/20 09:49:20:132 EST [WARN] HttpMethodBase.execute(): received
100 response, but I've already sent the response.

 I suppose that the (external) testcases could try to hit
www.orionserver.com with a POST (with evermind's permission I guess).

For local testcases, a test could be designed to do a POST with a
success if response has 100 followed by 200 without any execption, a
failure if reception of 100 raises an exception and neutral if no 100
have been generated.  The challenge is to assess if the server produced
100-followed-by-200 or only 200...  maybe Servlet filters could help here...

Wait a minute, why not simply use a servlet filter in the test-webapp to
inject a status-code=100 in the response ?  This would then be server
independent...(as long as the server supports Servlet API 2.3 :-)).

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to write this test...

Re: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I'd like to propose Marc Saegesser as a committer on HttpClient. Mark
> has posted some great functional patches for HttpClient in the last week
> and is an active user with great ideas for taking it forward.
>
> Also, most of the 'usual' HttpClient committers are also busy with other
> projects, so Marc has lots more time than anyone else to keep the
> project moving forward.
>
> +1's?

+1.

Remy

Re: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1

dIon Gillard wrote:

> I'd like to propose Marc Saegesser as a committer on HttpClient. Mark
> has posted some great functional patches for HttpClient in the last week
> and is an active user with great ideas for taking it forward.
>
> Also, most of the 'usual' HttpClient committers are also busy with other
> projects, so Marc has lots more time than anyone else to keep the
> project moving forward.
>
> +1's?
>
> Marc Saegesser wrote:
>
> >I haven't had a chance to look at the existing test cases in depth yet.  I
> >should be able to duplicate the existing test cases for the HttpMethod based
> >stuff into tests for the HttpUrlMethod classes without much trouble.  I'll
> >see what I can do.
> >
> >The other stuff is a little harder to test.  For example, testing the 100
> >status respose thing requires finding a server that repeatably sends the
> >response at the unexpected time.  The only one I have right now is my online
> >banking site and I'm not posting my username/password for that site into the
> >test cases :-)  Same thing for the broken relative Location header.
> >
> >As for time to deal with this stuff.  I've been a jakarta-tomcat committer
> >for over year.  I worked primarily on the 3.2.x stuff and since that's now
> >over I've got time to spend elsewhere.  Since I'm working heavily on
> >HttpClient for my own application I'd be more than happy to help out around
> >here if the other committers will have me.
> >

> >Marc Saegesser
> >

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> http://www.multitask.com.au/developers

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-> http://husted.com/about/services

Re: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, dIon Gillard wrote:

> I'd like to propose Marc Saegesser as a committer on HttpClient. Mark
> has posted some great functional patches for HttpClient in the last week
> and is an active user with great ideas for taking it forward.
>
> Also, most of the 'usual' HttpClient committers are also busy with other
> projects, so Marc has lots more time than anyone else to keep the
> project moving forward.
>
> +1's?

Marc did an amazing work with tomcat3.2.
+1 for having him as a commiter for jakarta-commons !

Costin

Re: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser

Posted by dIon Gillard <di...@multitask.com.au>.
Thanks for that Craig.

Welcome Marc!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
+1

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, dIon Gillard wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:39:07 +1100
> From: dIon Gillard <di...@multitask.com.au>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Proposal: New Committer - Marc Saegesser
>
> I'd like to propose Marc Saegesser as a committer on HttpClient. Mark
> has posted some great functional patches for HttpClient in the last week
> and is an active user with great ideas for taking it forward.
>
> Also, most of the 'usual' HttpClient committers are also busy with other
> projects, so Marc has lots more time than anyone else to keep the
> project moving forward.
>
> +1's?

I'm not a committer on HttpClient, but want to offer my enthusiastic +1 on
this ... Marc has done a tremendous job on Tomcat.

Craig McClanahan

Posted by dIon Gillard <di...@multitask.com.au>.