Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alexander Welz <aw...@att.net> on 2010/04/14 22:52:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Domain cant find server

I have apache 2.2 installed on a computer.

If I type the IP address for the server in the browser window, the website
displays
I am using a domain from GoDaddy. I set up the Name server in Go daddy for
the domain of the same name.
I can ping the nameserver and the IP for the webserver displays.
If I ping for the domain name it can not find the server.

The DNS and Nameserver are set up correctly with godaddy, but it is getting
lost when the domain tries to find my server.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

RE: [users@httpd] Domain cant find server

Posted by Renato Oliveira <re...@grant.co.uk>.
Have you checked if you can ping the DNS name from other machines?
Have you checked if you can get access to the DNS name from outside or from somewhere other than the location you are in?
Have you checked the nameservers you are using?
Do an nslookup on Windows or host -t A <DNSNAME> on linux and see what is the result.

Check which nameservers the server is using? Can you resolve the DNS name from the server in question?

Make sure the DNS name matches the server name and the IP address.

You need to identify if the problem is with your premises or an external problem.
Try to break it down to narrow the problem.
It maybe there is a technical problem with godaddy.

Renato Oliveira
Systems Administrator
e-mail: renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0)1763 260811
Fax: +44 (0)1763 262410
http://www.grant.co.uk/

Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd

Company registered in England, registration number 658133

Registered office address:
29 Station Road,
Shepreth,
CAMBS SG8 6GB
UK

You are facing a domain name resolution issue. Please look on wikipedia
and the likes for more details, as apache httpd does not interact with DNS.

Frank.

On 14/04/2010 4:52 PM, Alexander Welz wrote:
> I have apache 2.2 installed on a computer.
>
> If I type the IP address for the server in the browser window, the website
> displays
> I am using a domain from GoDaddy. I set up the Name server in Go daddy for
> the domain of the same name.
> I can ping the nameserver and the IP for the webserver displays.
> If I ping for the domain name it can not find the server.
>
> The DNS and Nameserver are set up correctly with godaddy, but it is getting
> lost when the domain tries to find my server.
>
> Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential. It is intended only for the named recipients(s). If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.

VIRUSES: The contents of this e-mail or attachment(s) may contain viruses which could damage your own computer system. Whilst Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment(s).

OpenXML: For information about the OpenXML file format in use within Grant Instruments please visit our http://www.grant.co.uk/Support/openxml.html

Re: [users@httpd] Domain cant find server

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
Alexander,