Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/18 23:05:32 UTC

I am trying to run a large job and it is consistently failing with timeout - nothing happens for 600 sec

The map tasks fail timing out after 600 sec.
I am processing one 9 GB file with 16,000,000 records. Each record (think
is it as a line)  generates hundreds of key value pairs.
The job is unusual in that the output of the mapper in terms of records or
bytes orders of magnitude larger than the input.
I have no idea what is slowing down the job except that the problem is in
the writes.

If I change the job to merely bypass a fraction of the context.write
statements the job succeeds.
This is one map task that failed and one that succeeded - I cannot
understand how a write can take so long
or what else the mapper might be doing

JOB FAILED WITH TIMEOUT

*Parser*TotalProteins90,103NumberFragments10,933,089
*FileSystemCounters*HDFS_BYTES_READ67,245,605FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN444,054,807
*Map-Reduce Framework*Combine output records10,033,499Map input records
90,103Spilled Records10,032,836Map output bytes3,520,182,794Combine input
records10,844,881Map output records10,933,089
Same code but fewer writes
JOB SUCCEEDED

*Parser*TotalProteins90,103NumberFragments206,658,758
*FileSystemCounters*FILE_BYTES_READ111,578,253HDFS_BYTES_READ67,245,607
FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN220,169,922
*Map-Reduce Framework*Combine output records4,046,128Map input
records90,103Spilled
Records4,046,128Map output bytes662,354,413Combine input records4,098,609Map
output records2,066,588
Any bright ideas
--
Steven M. Lewis PhD
4221 105th Ave NE

Re: I am trying to run a large job and it is consistently failing with timeout - nothing happens for 600 sec

Posted by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com>.
In my hands the problem occurs in all map jobs - an associate with a
different cluster - mine has 8 nodes - his 40 reports 80% of map tasks fail
with a few succeeding -
I suspect some kind of an I/O waiot but fail to see how it gets to 600sec

Posted by Raj V <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Steve

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
But Steve, it is your code... :-)

Here is a simple test...

Set your code up where the run fails...

Add a simple timer to see how long you spend in the Mapper.map() method.

only print out the time if its greater than lets say 500 seconds...

The other thing is to update a dynamic counter in Mapper.map().
This would force a status update to be sent to the JT.

Also you dont give a lot of detail...
Are you writing out to an HBase table???

HTH

-Mike

Posted by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Urbina <lu...@mit.edu>.

Posted by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com>.
It always fails with a task timeout and that error gives me very little
indication of where the error occurs. The one piece of data I have is that
if I only call context.write 1 in 100 times it does not time out suggesting
that it is not MY code that is timing out.
I could try to time the write statements and see if they get slow although
those might to something slow in another thread?? Or it might be in the
internal hadoop data handling code.

Posted by Alex Kozlov <al...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Melendez <to...@supertom.com>.