Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> on 2011/03/08 23:41:56 UTC

Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Hello PMCs,

Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
contributors to your projects.

If you want to participate with your project you now need to

 - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
 - propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2011 in JIRA and
   they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
 - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to mentors, meant to be used
   as a private list - general discussions on the public
   dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)

The ASF has applied as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF isn't
accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start recording your ideas now.

Last year we had 39 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which are
now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a
success again this year!

On behalf of the GSoC 2011 admins,

Uli

[1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks
[3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
For connectors, before we propose anything we've got to know what will
be available as infrastructure.  We need to know what repositories we
can assume might be available.  Can anyone fill us in on that?

Karl

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
It's usually not too time consuming, maybe 5 hours a week.  The key thing to stress is that all technical interactions w/ the mentee take place on the list.  Off list mentoring is for personal issues (vacation, emergencies, etc.)  The whole point is to teach how open source works.

--------------------------

Posted by Jason Baldridge <jb...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
FYI

   I believe it is a very good opportunity to get more people
interested in Isis.

[...]

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Simon Pepping <sa...@gmail.com>.
Another summer with Google Summer of Code. If there are ideas, please act.
Simon