Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by axelspin <sp...@knmi.nl> on 2007/07/19 14:59:07 UTC

AXIS2 Secure SOAP/REST

Hi, I am developing webservices with Axis2, and I would like to keep both
RESTful and SOAP interfaces to my services, providing authentication. what
could be a good strategy?

Re: AXIS2 Secure SOAP/REST

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
If by REST, you mean "plain old XML" (POX) over HTTP (i.e., no SOAP
envelope), then you must rely on HTTP security mechanisms:
- HTTP Basic or Digest Authentication
- HTTPS SSL authentication
- HTTPS SSL encryption

HTTP security mechanisms support point-to-point security only -- not
end-to-end security. If you require stronger security measures than
can flow across proxies and intermediaries or that support stronger
authentication mechanisms, then you should use SOAP.

Anne