Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by mohanad al-shayeb <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2005/02/22 22:32:16 UTC

Portlet...??

Hellow guys,

I did compile JetSpeed2 and used Tomcat 5.0.28 (to get rid of db problems :(
  ). Anyway I would be really greatful for your answers for the followign
Qs:

1. I want to recompile the demo.war with Maven. I do not know how to do
that?

2. If i want to add a new portlet, what are the neccessary steps i need to
do that?

3. Each time i start tomcat! I takes alot of time to startup (after adding
the JetSpeed2)? Anyway to accelrate it?

4. If I update the portlet while the portal is running , will JetSpeed
update or i should restart Tomcat?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Re: Portlet...??

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@sword-technologies.com>.
mohanad al-shayeb wrote:

> Hellow guys,
>
> I did compile JetSpeed2 and used Tomcat 5.0.28 (to get rid of db
> problems :(  ). Anyway I would be really greatful for your answers for
> the followign Qs:

What kind of problems ?

> 1. I want to recompile the demo.war with Maven. I do not know how to
> do that?

from the demo directory : maven java:compile or maven war to build the
new war portlet application

> 2. If i want to add a new portlet, what are the neccessary steps i
> need to do that?

Write or reuse a portlet class and add it into the portlet.xml config
file. In the demo app, you can find some velocity, JSF, JSP, .. based
portlets.

> 3. Each time i start tomcat! I takes alot of time to startup (after
> adding the JetSpeed2)? Anyway to accelrate it?

> 4. If I update the portlet while the portal is running , will JetSpeed
> update or i should restart Tomcat?

No just copy the portlet war into the running jetspeed application (in
the WEB-INF/deploy folder). It is not necessary to restart Tomcat.

Re: Portlet...??

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

David Sean Taylor wrote:
> mohanad al-shayeb wrote:
>
>> 3. Each time i start tomcat! I takes alot of time to startup (after
>> adding the JetSpeed2)? Anyway to accelrate it?
>>
> yes
> there are quite a few portlet applications in the demo
> for each portlet application, tomcat has to load the entire webapp's
> classloader. this is time consuming.
 From my preliminary experiences with the refactored deployment implementation
I'm working on I can already tell that startup performance will increase big!
I hope to be able to present a test patch real soon...

Regards, Ate

Re: Portlet...??

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
mohanad al-shayeb wrote:
> Hellow guys,
>
> I did compile JetSpeed2 and used Tomcat 5.0.28 (to get rid of db
> problems :(  ). Anyway I would be really greatful for your answers for
> the followign Qs:
>
> 1. I want to recompile the demo.war with Maven. I do not know how to do
> that?

cd applications/demo
maven war

> 2. If i want to add a new portlet, what are the neccessary steps i need
> to do that?

assuming you want to put this portlet in the demo portlet app (i guess)

1. write the portlet, or extend an existing one
2. add a <portlet> entry the demo's portlet.xml
3. build it, test it
4. redeploy the demo PA:

maven deploy

> 3. Each time i start tomcat! I takes alot of time to startup (after
> adding the JetSpeed2)? Anyway to accelrate it?

yes
there are quite a few portlet applications in the demo
for each portlet application, tomcat has to load the entire webapp's
classloader. this is time consuming.

many of the jars in the portlet applications are used in every portlet
application. you could try moving some of the common jars into the
shared/lib area of tomcat, this would drastically increase the loadup
time since things like commons-logging wouldn't be loaded into 8
different class loaders. (this may cause some new problems with cross
context dispatching...)

one thing i do during development is only work with the webapps (portlet
apps) that im working with. that way i don't have to wait for the
startup time of apps im not even using

during dev, i try not to shutdown tomcat, instead i drop in the portlet
app and have tomcat redeploy it automatically

also look at the maven goal minStart in the root project

> 4. If I update the portlet while the portal is running , will JetSpeed
> update or i should restart Tomcat?

if you redeploy the portlet app, you shouldn't have to restart Tomcat

hth,

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software