Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by John Russell <jb...@onlywebdata.com> on 2006/01/21 18:13:46 UTC

mac intel?

Has a Mac intel build of xalan-C been attempted?
Thanks,
John Russell.

Re: mac intel?

Posted by John Russell <jb...@onlywebdata.com>.
I'm willing to attempt to maintain a universal binary (multiple
architecture) mac port should I prove sufficiently capable.

It would be a big help if someone could read a page of the Mac
documentation and
let me know whether it is likely that the additional flags to compile
for multiple
architectures using the ./configure script is likely to work.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/
PortingUnix/compiling/chapter_4_section_3.html

Complete information is available at
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/
PortingUnix/PortingUnix.pdf

An extract from the "Compiling for Multiple Architectures" page says:

"In many cases, binaries containing object code for more than one
architecture can be generated simply by running the normal
configuration script, then overriding the architecture flags at
compile time. For example, you might run ./configure followed by
CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -arch
i386" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch
ppc -arch i386" make to generate a universal binary (for Intel-based
and PowerPC-based Macintosh computers). To generate a 3-way universal
binary that includes a 64-bit PowerPC version, you would add -arch
ppc64 to the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS."

John.

Re: mac intel?

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
John Russell wrote:
> Is there a contact I can attempt to reach re Mac port?
> John.

If no one responded to your post on the list, I think you can assume the
person who was maintaining the Mac port is no longer doing it.

On the other hand, keeping the port going for OS X should be trivial,
since we already support GCC on a bunch of other platforms.  I imagine
there's not much to do, s0 you might want to attempt it yourself.  You
might even find that the generic "linux" platform target in runConfigure
works.

If you have any questions on how to proceed, feel free to post them.

Dave

Re: mac intel?

Posted by John Russell <jb...@onlywebdata.com>.

Re: mac intel?