Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Rich Robinson <ri...@boxuk.com> on 2002/10/18 12:35:34 UTC

Schema Validation Messages

Hello

Firstly let me apologise if this one's already been answered - I've
searched newsgroups to no avail and the mailing list archive sites seem
to be down at the moment.

When validating an XML document against a schema using Xerces it
produces messages like this for invalid documents:

Error on line 2 of document : The content of element type "general" must
match
"(identifier?,title,(catalogentry,catalogentry?,catalogentry?,catalogent
ry?,
catalogentry?,catalogentry?,catalogentry?,catalogentry?,catalogentry?,ca
talo
gentry?),(language,language?,language?,language?,language?,language?,lan
guag
e?,language?,language?,language?),(description,description?,description?
,des
cription?,description?,description?,description?,description?,descriptio
n?,d
escription?),(keyword?,keyword?,keyword?,keyword?,keyword?,keyword?,keyw
ord?
,keyword?,keyword?,keyword?),(coverage?,coverage?,coverage?,coverage?,co
vera
ge?,coverage?,coverage?,coverage?,coverage?,coverage?),structure?,aggreg
atio
nlevel?,##other:uri=http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsmd_v1p2*)".

Whilst it does make sense, the message is not particularly
user-friendly.  I am writing an application that requires the user's XML
documents to be validated against a schema - if they're not valid, my
application should tell the user why it is not.  Now the above message
does do that, but most users will find it difficult to understand.

Is there any way of getting a more user-friendly message... something
like "You are missing a <keyword> element" (or similar), or will I just
have to take the above message and parse it myself?

Thanks very much for any help with this,

Rich.