Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Sushil Vegad <vs...@serebrum.com> on 2009/03/10 15:37:35 UTC

Modify existing schema

Hello,
We are using apache-ds-1.5.4. We created a custom schema, a class called
MyUser. One of its mandatory attribute is orgName. Due to change in our
needs, we want to make orgName optional.

Is it possible to modify a schema that already exists on the server? If yes,
can I use directory server studio to modify it or do I need to use the java
API?

I used directory server studio to import the modified schema when I got the
error code 53 -
UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM....................

org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapOperationNotSupportedException
	at
org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaOperationControl.modify(SchemaOperationControl.java:445)
	at
org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaInterceptor.modify(SchemaInterceptor.java:1486)

PLease help.

Thank you for your time.
Sushil

Re: Modify existing schema

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Sushil,

As up today, you can only use Apache Directory Studio to inject new custom
schemas to Apache DS using LDIF.
In a near future, you'll be able to edit all the schemas of your Apache DS
instance live, directly in Studio.But this feature is still under
development and should be available in one of the next releases of Studio.

In the meantime, you can tweak "by hand" the schemas of your Apache DS using
the LDAP Browser of Apache Directory Studio.
The whole schema is accessible under the "ou=schema" context entry and you
can modify it dynamically by modifying the entries.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud