Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2017/05/10 07:59:46 UTC

Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Folks

Please switch your local HttpCore repositories from SVN to the new Git
repo:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents-core.git

Please try to not commit to SVN while it is being set to read-only
mode.

The migration process has not been fully completed yet. We have a
terrible mess with Github mirrors and I do not yet know how it can all
be resolved.

Gary

I collected all your latest SVN commits and pushed them to the Git
repo. Nothing should have been lost.

One personal request. Do you think you could try to make your commits
less granular and combine logically related changes into larger change
sets?

You have committed 6 changes, all of them related, and all of them
pretty much one liners. Now that we have Git I am very, very tempted to
start squashing your commits and force pushing the changes back to the
repo.

Oleg

Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I've blow away my local SVN copy, checked out git trunk and it builds :-)

Gary

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Folks
>
> Please switch your local HttpCore repositories from SVN to the new Git
> repo:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents-core.git
>
> Please try to not commit to SVN while it is being set to read-only
> mode.
>
> The migration process has not been fully completed yet. We have a
> terrible mess with Github mirrors and I do not yet know how it can all
> be resolved.
>

> Gary
>
> I collected all your latest SVN commits and pushed them to the Git
> repo. Nothing should have been lost.
>
> One personal request. Do you think you could try to make your commits
> less granular and combine logically related changes into larger change
> sets?
>
> You have committed 6 changes, all of them related, and all of them
> pretty much one liners. Now that we have Git I am very, very tempted to
> start squashing your commits and force pushing the changes back to the
> repo.
>
> Oleg

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
If the committer squashes their commits *before* pushing then history
is maintained.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Am 2017-05-10 um 21:16 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>>> INFRA won't allow that. Master is a propertive branch as far as I
>>> know.
>>>

>> As far as I know this rule could be disabled per request.
>>
>> History rewriting works for ordinary (non-master) branches
>>
>> ---
>> oleg@ok2c:~/src/apache.org/httpcomponents/httpcore$ git push origin
>> --force-with-lease
>> Counting objects: 11, done.
>> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
>> Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
>> Writing objects: 100% (11/11), 968 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
>> Total 11 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)
>> remote: httpcomponents-core git commit: Keep examples self-contained
>> To https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents-core.git
>>  + 0ad926e8...5b29a6e4 4.4.x -> 4.4.x (forced update)
>>

> To avoid issues like that, we should have the same approach as Tomcat or
> Maven does. One repo per major version, thus
>
> httpcomponents-core-4
> httpcomponents-client-4
> httpcomponents-core-5
> httpcomponents-client-5

I like that. I've already checked out HttpCore twice for 4.4.x and 5 just
be able to look at both source trees at the same time.

Also, from Eclipse, switch branches between core4 and core5 is not smooth
because the modules are not the same; which is another reason I ended up
checking out core twice in two parallel directories.

Gary

At the end, it will spare us a lot of issues and we can mark 4.x as legacy

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 17:19 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 2017-05-15 um 16:36 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> It is the same deal as with the decision on an logging API.
>>>
>>> Please put together a short statement what our Git commit policies
>>> should be (probably in Wiki), ask people to comment / complain, then
>>> copy the statement into an email and call a vote.
>>>

>> I actually did: https://mail-archives.apache.o
>> rg/mod_mbox/hc-dev/201705.mbox/%3C010661f8-4e15-01af-6a5a-
>> 971baa1348ca%40apache.org%3E
>>
>> and some people agreed, including you and Gary.
>>
>> Anyway, here is the wiki page: https://wiki.apache.org/HttpCo
>> mponents/GitPoliciesAndPractices
>

> "Policies" and "Practices"? What's the difference? I do not see two
> sections on the page ;-) Can we take down the corporate-speak down a notch
> and go for "Git Guidelines"?

Makes sense, done!

Thank you.

Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-05-15 um 16:36 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>
>> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 16:18 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>> Am 2017-05-15 um 16:00 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> What benefit do you have if it is hard to follow the code paths? How
>>> much is "good" code worth if you don't have proper documentation?
>>> Even
>>> if you have to constantly clean up their mess just like mom did?
>>>
>>> I see the log as a documentation of our work. At the end, good code
>>> does
>>> not help if it cannot be properly located by others. I still think
>>> that
>>> all committers should help the RM to do as little as possible and
>>> not
>>> more than necessary.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Michael,
>>
>> It is the same deal as with the decision on an logging API.
>>
>> Please put together a short statement what our Git commit policies
>> should be (probably in Wiki), ask people to comment / complain, then
>> copy the statement into an email and call a vote.
>>

> I actually did: https://mail-archives.apache.o
> rg/mod_mbox/hc-dev/201705.mbox/%3C010661f8-4e15-01af-6a5a-
> 971baa1348ca%40apache.org%3E
>
> and some people agreed, including you and Gary.
>
> Anyway, here is the wiki page: https://wiki.apache.org/HttpCo
> mponents/GitPoliciesAndPractices

"Policies" and "Practices"? What's the difference? I do not see two
sections on the page ;-) Can we take down the corporate-speak down a notch
and go for "Git Guidelines"?

Cheers,
Gary

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 17:19 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 17:04 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2017-05-15 um 16:36 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 16:18 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>> I actually did:
>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-dev/201705.mbox/%3C01066
>> 1f8-4e15-01af-6a5a-971baa1348ca%40apache.org%3E
>>
>> and some people agreed, including you and Gary.
>>

> It was not a binding vote, was it?

I don't know.

>> Anyway, here is the wiki page:
>> https://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/GitPoliciesAndPractices
>>
>> Shall I rerun it with a "[VOTE]" prefix in the subject?
>>

> Ask people for comments first.

Sorry, I did this in my thread by

> Something else I forgot?
>
> What do you think?

> For instance I see no mentioning of the idea of RM being in charge of
> merging dev branches onto release branches.

Done. Have a look.

> Give people some time to react (probably a few days) and then call a
> vote with defined rules as to whose votes count as binding. I guess a
> policy votes require PMC status to be considered binding, same as with
> release votes.

I'll repost with a new title. Consider that only a few people have
reacted on my questions.

Michael

Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 16:00 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 15:18 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>> Am 2017-05-15 um 15:05 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> I have _no_ intention of policing other committers. It is
>>> emotionally
>>> cheaper for me to take time to clean things up and than to hold all
>>> those conversations about policies.
>>
>> But why do you want to do the extra work to clean up somebody's else
>> mess? A project team needs to agree on some standards and rules
>> making
>> life easier for everyone -- the project members as well as our
>> clients
>> reading the log and using the software.
>>
>> A project won't run w/o rules. It is pretty discouring for every a
>> lot
>> of devs if someone else does not stick to the rules and produces
>> garbage
>> commits.
>>

> (1) You see. Those are not garbage commits. They are just chaotic. Some
> people work like that.

I wasn't referring to the work itself, but how people work with a SCM.
Trunk looks terrible. Impossible to do a bisect.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 15:05 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 14:58 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
>>>>

>>> How so exactly? So, it is not OK to have a developer spend a few
>>> minutes integrating upstream changes into the local branch but it
>>> is OK
>>> to have the release manager waste time wading through hundreds of
>>> unnecessary commits when preparing a release or chasing a
>>> regression?
>>
>> It is absolutely not OK for you as RM spending valuable time fixing
>> an
>> ugly log. Every committer is obliged to leave a clean log. If a dev
>> does
>> not stick to these rules he should be taken away his commit right.
>>
>> If you want to clean up because committers are too stupid to do so,
>> we
>> should take the command-and-leutnant approach.
>
> I have _no_ intention of policing other committers. It is emotionally
> cheaper for me to take time to clean things up and than to hold all
> those conversations about policies.

But why do you want to do the extra work to clean up somebody's else
mess? A project team needs to agree on some standards and rules making
life easier for everyone -- the project members as well as our clients
reading the log and using the software.

A project won't run w/o rules. It is pretty discouring for every a lot
of devs if someone else does not stick to the rules and produces garbage
commits.

>> Committers never push
>> directly to a live release branch, but request a PR for it. You as
>> the
>> RM will merge it. It will give you all the freedom you need. So
>> 5.0/master and 4.4/master should be protected branches writable by
>> you
>> only. I am fine with that.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> If folks can live with the restriction of release branches being
> writable to PMs only, I am fine with that but I think it is just a
> matter of time this rule gets broken. It is just cannot be enforced
> properly without git commit hooks.

This dev commit branch should not be rewritten of course. But will you
really go through all commits, cherry pick and squash. This is just
daunting.

If people cannot bring up the disciple, they should reconsider their work.

Michael

Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 13:13 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 11:54 +0200, Julian Sedding wrote:
>> Force pushing is considered a bad practice in Git for good reasons,
>> thus rewriting history of published branches is IMHO a no-go. It
>> makes
>> everybody's life harder (and developers less experienced with Git may
>> not be able to integrate the rewritten history at all).
>>

> How so exactly? So, it is not OK to have a developer spend a few
> minutes integrating upstream changes into the local branch but it is OK
> to have the release manager waste time wading through hundreds of
> unnecessary commits when preparing a release or chasing a regression?

It is absolutely not OK for you as RM spending valuable time fixing an
ugly log. Every committer is obliged to leave a clean log. If a dev does
not stick to these rules he should be taken away his commit right.

If you want to clean up because committers are too stupid to do so, we
should take the command-and-leutnant approach. Committers never push

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-15 um 11:54 schrieb Julian Sedding:
> Force pushing is considered a bad practice in Git for good reasons,
> thus rewriting history of published branches is IMHO a no-go. It makes
> everybody's life harder (and developers less experienced with Git may
> not be able to integrate the rewritten history at all).
>
> Don't get me wrong. I do a lot of rebasing locally because I
> appreciate a commit history that tells a story (i.e. commits should be
> intentional, logical units, not accidental bits of work).
>
> Could we perhaps achieve a pretty history by enforcing a
> review-then-commit workflow? That way we can have temporary feature
> branches (which may be deleted or force pushed in my book), work out
> the history and only merge to master (or the respective release
> branch) when we're happy with the change and the history.

I made this propopal already several days ago. See thread "Git policies
and practices". I don't want either the master/release branch to be
rewritten.

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 21:27 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2017-05-10 um 21:16 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

> > > INFRA won't allow that. Master is a propertive branch as far as I
> > > know.
> > >

> > As far as I know this rule could be disabled per request.
> >
> > History rewriting works for ordinary (non-master) branches
> >
> > ---
> > oleg@ok2c:~/src/apache.org/httpcomponents/httpcore$ git push origin
> > --force-with-lease
> > Counting objects: 11, done.
> > Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> > Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
> > Writing objects: 100% (11/11), 968 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
> > Total 11 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)
> > remote: httpcomponents-core git commit: Keep examples self-
> > contained
> > To https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents-core.git
> >  + 0ad926e8...5b29a6e4 4.4.x -> 4.4.x (forced update)
>
> To avoid issues like that, we should have the same approach as Tomcat
> or
> Maven does. One repo per major version, thus
>
> httpcomponents-core-4
> httpcomponents-client-4
> httpcomponents-core-5
> httpcomponents-client-5
>
> At the end, it will spare us a lot of issues and we can mark 4.x as
> legacy some day.

This makes cherry-picking impossible (or difficult). We are not Tomcat.
Our stuff we can still be in one repo.

I have multiple clones of the same repo, one per major version. Works
quite well for me.

I am sorry I am not in favor of this idea.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 09:51 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Can you rename trunk to master and then give the green light?

Done. SVN trunk pushed to remote as master and remote trunk deleted.

Oleg

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Git policies and practices; Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 16:18 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2017-05-10 um 09:59 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> >
> > I collected all your latest SVN commits and pushed them to the Git
> > repo. Nothing should have been lost.
> >
> > One personal request. Do you think you could try to make your
> > commits
> > less granular and combine logically related changes into larger
> > change
> > sets?
> >
> > You have committed 6 changes, all of them related, and all of them
> > pretty much one liners. Now that we have Git I am very, very
> > tempted to
> > start squashing your commits and force pushing the changes back to
> > the
> > repo.
>
> We should talk about this in a separate thread. With Git comes more
> disciple but also a better way to make your own work cleaner avoiding
> 10
> cleanup commits.

Hi Michael

Yes, please do feel free to start a new thread on Git etiquette, common
practices, policies and so on.

We can discuss whether or not we want to keep trunk as an unstable dev
branch or rename it to 5.0.x or master.

I am personally interested in finding a consensus if it is OK to re-
write branches, for instance, by squashing noisy commits and style
check fixes.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.