Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by gangadhar jannu <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/01 13:26:26 UTC

copy multiple folders from one repository to another repository at server using subversion

Hi all,
I've been struggling with this issue for the past two weeks.

I've created a repository named as *allProj *at server.
The structure of *allProj* is as follows:
allProj

   - Projects
      - projectA
      - projectB
      - projectC
      - projectD
      - projectE

Now I want to create another repository *reqProj *at the same server which
includes *multiple projects *from *allProj *along with access controls and
revision history.
Expected *reqProj* structure is:
reqProj

   - projectB
   - projectD
   - projectE

I've searched a lot on this topic but still I'm unable to find solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
------------------------------
software details:
subversion version is 1.4
server OS is cenOS 6.4

Re: copy multiple folders from one repository to another repository at server using subversion

Posted by Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com>.
On Feb 2, 2015, at 13:09, gangadhar jannu <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any other alternatives rather than upgrading subversion...?

Probably not.  Version 1.4 is old, actually ancient and if there was a bug in it that causes your issue, it will never be fixed.  There have been so many improvements in 1.5.X, 1.6.X, 1.7.X, and 1.8.X that you really, really should upgrade.  Even if you only go to 1.7.X which is what is supported in CentOS 6 you will get much better results, but if you are going to upgrade anyway, find an external repo that is hosting 1.8.X for CentOS 6.X and upgrade all the way to 1.8.11.

Alfred

Re: copy multiple folders from one repository to another repository at server using subversion

Posted by gangadhar jannu <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
As a previous response suggested, upgrade your Subversion first, and then
try the dump/filter/load.

Eric.

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello,

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ry...@macports.org> wrote:

> You can use "svnadmin dump" to dump parts of the allProj repository, then use "svnadmin load" to load them into the reqProj repository.

Roughly speaking, `svnadmin dump` itself can't take a dump of a single
project in a repository. With `svnadmin dump` you can specify revision
range to dump, but not paths to dump[1].

Using `svnadmin dump` you can generate a dump of the whole repository
and then use `svndumpfilter` tool[2] to filter out everything except
projectB, projectD and projectE, then load the filtered dump to a new
clean repository using `svnadmin load`. The process is described in
SVNBook | Filtering Repository History[3]. Moveover, official
Subversion FAQ has an entry about this task[4]. I can also advise
reading this post at StackOverflow[5].

[1]: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.ref.svnadmin.c.dump.html
[2]: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.ref.svndumpfilter.html
[3]: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.reposadmin.maint.html#svn.reposadmin.maint.filtering
[4]: http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#removal
[5]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/11598608/761095

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: copy multiple folders from one repository to another repository at server using subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <ry...@macports.org>.
On Feb 1, 2015, at 6:26 AM, gangadhar jannu wrote:

> I've been struggling with this issue for the past two weeks.
>
> I've created a repository named as allProj at server.
> The structure of allProj is as follows:
> allProj
> 	• Projects
> 		• projectA
> 		• projectB
> 		• projectC
> 		• projectD
> 		• projectE
> Now I want to create another repository reqProj at the same server which includes multiple projects from allProj along with access controls and revision history.
> Expected reqProj structure is:
> reqProj
> 	• projectB
> 	• projectD
> 	• projectE
> I've searched a lot on this topic but still I'm unable to find solution.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use "svnadmin dump" to dump parts of the allProj repository, then use "svnadmin load" to load them into the reqProj repository.

> software details:
> subversion version is 1.4
> server OS is cenOS 6.4

Subversion 1.4 is obsolete and unsupported. Please upgrade to the latest version of Subversion 1.8.