Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wilson, Wayne" <ww...@ettain.com> on 2001/12/06 20:06:27 UTC

Load balancing where lbfactors not equal?

Hi,

I am using Apache 1.3.22, Tomcat Tomcat-3.2.3 and mod_jk on Windows 2000
Professional.

I have load balancing working fine with mod_jk across 2 instances of Tomcat
except that it seems to ignore the lbfactor I assign to the workers. When
the workers' lbfactors are both set to 1, they spread the load evenly across
both instances of Tomcat. The problem is that if I set one to 1 and the
other to 100 or 1000 ( iwant them to get all the requests), it still seems
to send a disproportionate amount of requests to the Tomcat instance with
the lbfactor of 1.

Here is a snippet from my workers.properties:

worker.list=loadbalancer

worker.localworker.port=8009
worker.localworker.host=localhost
worker.localworker.type=ajp13
worker.localworker.lbfactor=1000

worker.localworker2.port=9009
worker.localworker2.host=localhost
worker.localworker2.type=ajp13
worker.localworker2.lbfactor=1

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=localworker,localworker2

Is there something I am doing wrong? What I am basically trying to achieve
is to send all my requests to one Tomcat instance and only if it fails send
it to the other. Basically failover rather than load balancing. I have two
Apache servers (which are load balanced through a hardware load balancer)
and each one has a primary Tomcat and a failover Tomcat .

I have even experimented with setting the lbfactor on the failover Tomcat to
0 with no effect.

Has anyone done this before? Is the lbfactor even implemented yet?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne Wilson