Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2002/02/20 18:23:11 UTC

/servlets/ URL path...

When I invoke a servlet such as

http://localhost/application/servlets/HelloWorld

WHO actually defines that /servlets/ is associated with my classes? Is it
defined somewhere in the spec or is it a feature of Tomcat (in 4.0 it's the
InvokerServlet, IIRC)

Cheerios!

    Pier

RE: /servlets/ URL path...

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.
It is not in the spec if I remember correctly.
It is a feature of tomcat so that you don't have to register servlets in
web.xml

Filip

~
Namaste - I bow to the divine in you
~
Filip Hanik
Software Architect
filip@filip.net
www.filip.net

Re: /servlets/ URL path...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:23:11 +0000
> From: Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: /servlets/ URL path...
>
> When I invoke a servlet such as
>
> http://localhost/application/servlets/HelloWorld
>
> WHO actually defines that /servlets/ is associated with my classes? Is it
> defined somewhere in the spec or is it a feature of Tomcat (in 4.0 it's the
> InvokerServlet, IIRC)

It's not in the spec -- it's a feature of Tomcat and many other servlet
containers.  For Tomcat 4 in particular, its defined in "conf/web.xml"
which establishes default characteristics of all webapps.  (Note that it's
mapped to "/servlet/*" not /servlets/*" though).

> Cheerios!
>
>     Pier

Craig