Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Christine <my...@christine.nl> on 2011/10/09 22:10:57 UTC

Tapestry JPA question

Hi,
I read the messages from a month ago about getting the example app
running as explained here:
http://tapestry.apache.org/integrating-with-jpa.html

I have put version 5.3.0 in my pom, so it downloads Tapestry 5.3.0
including jpa. I have added tapestry-jpa, ejb3 and eclipselink
dependencies. I have a persistence.xml, I have edited the web.xml, and
everything as in the example. I run my app with runjettyrun in Eclipse.
I have tried with postgres and H2, but that doesn't seem to make a
difference. I don't see an eclipselink login in the logs.
What I get is a null pointer exception on the EntityManager, it doesn't
get injected or it isn't created.

Here's my persistence.xml, AppModule.java, tapestry startup log:
http://pastebin.com/QCg7Uj65

I'm sure there's something very basic that I have missed, but reading
and rereading both the tutorial page and the previous email
conversation, I can't find it. Would anyone care to have a quick look?
Thanks!

Christine

Re: Tapestry JPA question

Posted by Christine <my...@christine.nl>.
On 10/09/2011 10:14 PM, Lenny Primak wrote:
> 5.3.0 is very old.  Your problem may be that you need the later beta...
>
> <repository>
>              <id>tapestry-repo</id>
>              <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging</url>
>          </repository>
>
> and use beta-18 or later.

Thanks. I now use beta-18 from the staging repository. But the
entityManager is still null. It seems to be an issue with the location
of persistence.xml, or the processing of it. I put META-INF in the root
of my project, then the app starts normally. But if I remove the sql
Driver jar from the classpath, the app still starts normally, only
complaining about em being null. I'd expect it to complain about the
Driver jar missing.

So, is it ok to put persistence.xml in META-INF which is in the root of
my project? In the war file, META-INF ends up in the root. Do I need a
reference to the persistence unit in web.xml?

dagdag
Christine

Re: Tapestry JPA question

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.