Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marcin Zajączkowski <ms...@wp.pl> on 2008/11/02 18:52:57 UTC

[users@httpd] One tag for public_html in various paths

Hi,

How can I set Options and other configuration for user public_html
directories which are placed in a different paths:
/home/foo/user1
/home/bar/user2
/home/2007/aa/user3
/home/2007/ab/user4
/home/too/2005/z/user5 ?

In normal situation there could be something like that:
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo Limit
   Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec +ExecCGI
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
</Directory>
but in my situation I can only use "<Directory "~">" which can't be
overridden for specified subdirectories directories :(

It's an one of the problems mentioned in my previous post (which maybe
was too long):
http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=122444710729770

Regards
Marcin

Re: [users@httpd] Re: One tag for public_html in various paths

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Marcin Zajączkowski <ms...@wp.pl> wrote:
> On 2008-11-02 20:44, Eric Covener wrote:
> (...)
>>> How can I set Options and other configuration for user public_html
>>> directories which are placed in a different paths:
>>> /home/foo/user1
>>> /home/bar/user2
>>> /home/2007/aa/user3
>>> /home/2007/ab/user4
>>> /home/too/2005/z/user5 ?
>>
>> It's unclear what the exceptions are supposed to be, but you could
>> probably find a short few DirectoryMatches (PCRE instead of shell
>> glob) that capture what you want.
>
> Thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid it won't resolve my problem.
> Regarding to [1] <DirectoryMatch> (similar to <Directory ~>) has higher
> priority than "normal" <Directory> and I won't be able to override it
> for only one directory, e.g.:
> <Directory /home/foo/user1/public_html>
> to give it some other Options.
>
> [1] - http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#mergin

Couldn't you add the overrides also using DirectoryMatch?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

[users@httpd] Re: One tag for public_html in various paths

Posted by Marcin Zajączkowski <ms...@wp.pl>.
On 2008-11-02 20:44, Eric Covener wrote:
(...)
>> How can I set Options and other configuration for user public_html
>> directories which are placed in a different paths:
>> /home/foo/user1
>> /home/bar/user2
>> /home/2007/aa/user3
>> /home/2007/ab/user4
>> /home/too/2005/z/user5 ?
>
> It's unclear what the exceptions are supposed to be, but you could
> probably find a short few DirectoryMatches (PCRE instead of shell
> glob) that capture what you want.

Thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid it won't resolve my problem.
Regarding to [1] <DirectoryMatch> (similar to <Directory ~>) has higher
priority than "normal" <Directory> and I won't be able to override it
for only one directory, e.g.:
<Directory /home/foo/user1/public_html>
to give it some other Options.

[1] - http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#mergin

Those user's home directories are the caused by having a few group of
users/accounts in the system (students, staff, a few others groups).
They have been there for years and I don't see a chance to change it in
the nearest future (especially I'm not the admin of that system).

Best
Marcin

Re: [users@httpd] One tag for public_html in various paths

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.