Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/19 10:16:01 UTC

Question about legal files

I recently found out about the maven-remote-resources-plugin with is
pretty good at inserting the required legal files in the artifacts
created in a maven project, and I started looking at the NOTICE.txt
file in at least some of the apacheds modules and it  looks odd to  me:

Apache Directory Daemon
Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation

This product uses JUnit (http://junit.org/).
 >> not at runtime it doesn't and AFAIK we arent distributing test
artifacts??
This product includes a distribution of NLOG4J
(http://www.slf4j.org/nlog4j/).
 >>the module jars don't include nlog4j so this is wrong for most
artifacts.  I think this claim should only be in the aggregates that
actually do include nlog4j

I'd be happy to fix up the build to use maven-remote-resources plugin
but someone should check the results.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Question about legal files

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
David,

On 8/20/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I modified the version 8-SNAPSHOT project pom to set up the
> maven-remote-resources-plugin so when it gets published we can further
> simplify the apacheds, shared, and daemon poms.

This might be a good exception to the rule since the default legal file
processing will be in effect across the TLP.  The code or dependencies do
not effect this regardless of the subproject.  Any additions to the legal
files for specific things that this default behavior does not inject from
the dependencies can be added in the modules of each project.

Alex

Re: Question about legal files

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ok, thanks a lot David !

I will try to foind half an hour to review those files, and it seems
that it is the perfect timing for updating those files, as we are in
the process of cutting a release !

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Question about legal files

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
OK, I did this in trunk.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

regarding JUnit, we may at some point add sources into the jars (at
least as a specific distribution), and it could make sense to add this
attribution.

For NLog4j, as slf4j is a part of this project, and as NLog4j is not
an ASF project, I think we should add this attribution too. Now, there
is a problem, because slf4j is the parent project of NLog4j, and we
may refer to this parent project instead of NLog4j... Damn logging
crap !

At the end, this Notice.txt file may have been copy/pasted from
another sub-project, and this could be the reason you have those
attributions.

Now, we can remove them if needed, it's not a big deal.

wdyt we should do ?

On 8/19/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently found out about the maven-remote-resources-plugin with is
> pretty good at inserting the required legal files in the artifacts
> created in a maven project, and I started looking at the NOTICE.txt
> file in at least some of the apacheds modules and it  looks odd to  me:
>
> Apache Directory Daemon
> Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>  >> so far so good
> This product uses JUnit (http://junit.org/).
>  >> not at runtime it doesn't and AFAIK we arent distributing test
> artifacts??
> This product includes a distribution of NLOG4J
> (http://www.slf4j.org/nlog4j/).
>  >>the module jars don't include nlog4j so this is wrong for most
> artifacts.  I think this claim should only be in the aggregates that
> actually do include nlog4j
>
> I'd be happy to fix up the build to use maven-remote-resources plugin
> but someone should check the results.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Cordialement,