Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/03 01:02:52 UTC

tentative! release notes drafts

Hello,

While we await the results of the vote (72 hours), I thought it would
be good to propose something new for the release emails, by putting
something up on the wiki where anyone can just edit it. In the past,
we would email each other back and forth and I think that's not the
easiest way to build up a document.

So, if you are motivated, please review and improve:

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote32
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote32

Again, this is a little premature and tentative since the vote still
has not passed, but it looks like it stands a good chance of doing so,
and it would be good to incorporate more feedback... these little
"marketing"-type things probably deserve more attention than we
normally give them.

Also for discussion: for the next release, we could consider copying
the templates to ReleaseNote33 and make these live documents that we
edit as we work towards the release, instead of at the end (we could
always fix them up at the end too). So if we add a really huge feature
we could add it when its actually committed.

Re: tentative! release notes drafts

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM,  <jo...@aol.com> wrote:
> So, in my case, upgrading from Solr 1.2 to 3.2, I must re-index. OK, I got
> that, thanks.
>
> Btw, where can I learn more about the "new IndexUpgrader tool"?  Is there a
> doc/wiki for it?

you can find it in trunk:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexUpgrader.java?view=markup

simon

RE: Upgrading from Solr 1.2 to 3.1/2 (was: Re: tentative! release notes drafts)

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Just to clarify some things:

a) IndexUpgrader has nothing to do with the problem of analyzer
incompatibility or changes in analyzers. The tool is only to upgrade all
segments of an index to the latest *file*format. This is especially
important once we upgrade to Lucene 4.0, as old indexes may cause a
slowdown, because of the so-called "surrogates dance" (reordering of terms
from UTF-16 to UTF-8 sort order). The Index Upgrader tool does not change
index contents or indexed terms/postings/whatever. It just upgrades the file
format. It is also of use, if you want to upgrade to Lucene 4.0 and your
index is pre-3.0. Because 1.x/2.x Indexes will no longer readable by Lucene
4.0, IndexUpgrader makes it possible to first upgrade all index segments to
version 3.2, so it's safe to upgrade to 4.0 once it's finished (see also my
talk @ Lucene Revolution and also next week @ Berlin Buzzwords:
http://s.apache.org/vQ)

b) Since Lucene 2.9 (and Solr 3.1, unfortunately Solr 1.4 did not support
this - Solr 1.4 always uses fixed Lucene 2.4 compatibility for all
analyzers, even if it ships with Lucene 2.9), you can configure
Tokenizers/TokenFilters/... to behave like previous Lucene versions. To make
the analysis chain of this old Lucene 2.1 index *compatible* to Lucene/Solr
3.1+, you can pass a "matchVersion" property to lot's of
Tokenizers/TokenFilters. To see what changed depending on Lucene version,
see the javadocs of the corresponding class. One example is
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_1_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/analysis/stan
dard/StandardTokenizer.html <-- you see that it changed its behavior several
times since Lucene 2.0. The same applies to Filters, too. Since Solr 3.1 you
can pass this version number to the Factory (see examples in SolrConfig).
The default value (if not given) is a luceneMatchVersion of Lucene 2.4 (if
you don’t specify a luceneMatchVersion anywhere). Because of this, it's safe
to upgrade your Solr installation to 3.1/3.2, because your schema.xml will
not contain a matchVersion anywhere, so it behaves like Lucene 2.4 on the
Analyzer components.
To be 100% sure, pass a luceneMatchVersion in the main solrconfig using 2.x
- so everything will behave as close as possible to this Lucene version and
analysis is compatible. If you want the latest features of Solr outside of
analysis, you should pass a recent luceneMatchVersion in your main config,
but specify a previous version in your analyzer definitions in schema.xml.

I hope that helps,
Uwe

-----
Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jo...@aol.com.

eMail:  <ma...@thetaphi.de> uwe@thetaphi.de

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : Since nobody objected to the idea, I created the following templates
> : for 3.3, and added a few already-committed things.
>
> I like the idea ... but why not just keep in in SVN?
>
> (that way patches can suggest wording for hte release notes if/when the
> patch is contains a notable feature worthy of "Release Highlights")

no reason really, I didn't think of putting it in SVN and the wiki was
easy at the time... we could just as easy put it in SVN instead...

Re: tentative! release notes drafts

Re: tentative! release notes drafts

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
Since nobody objected to the idea, I created the following templates
for 3.3, and added a few already-committed things.

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote33
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote33

If we can try to keep this up to date, besides saving the release
manager some time, it could serve a nice purpose/hyperlink as a quick
summary of what to look forwards to in the next release.