Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Rob Moran <rm...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/16 18:46:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Change Apache NiFi Fluid Design System naming

I think it's important to highlight that for nifi-fds the 'f' part of the
name was for 'fluid.' This is part of a FLUID product design system [1] to
which I also contribute, that at the time was an internal concept, but is
now being described in a public manner. However, nifi-fds is partially
inspired by FLUID concepts as well as others. Specifically, Material Design
[2] and Teradata's Covalent UI Platform [3].

We should change the name to reflect that what we're aiming for is a set of
reusable UI components that the NiFi ecosystem can leverage. The UI
components are inspired by these design systems, and will possibly be
influenced by others as it evolves.

Since we've already established the FDS naming scheme, I propose a simple
path would be to call it the Apache NiFi *Flow* Design System rather than a
unique/standalone term. This way the nifi-fds repo will not require a
change. We can just update the descriptions.

I assume we should vote on this if others agree?

[1] http://productdesign.hortonworks.com/
[2] https://material.io/design/
[3] https://teradata.github.io/covalent/#/

Re: [DISCUSS] Change Apache NiFi Fluid Design System naming

Posted by Rob Moran <rm...@gmail.com>.
Great – looks like a good consensus from the positive response. I'll send a
vote soon to formalize a decision.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Dyer <jd...@gmail.com>.
Makes complete sense to me +1