Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Jesse Zhou <zh...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/23 15:23:09 UTC

[Discussion] Suggestion of initiating the “Community Mentors” Project

Three months have passed since the graduation of IoTDB, and the new 1.0
version is about to be released. With the growth of the IoTDB community and
the increasing expansion of features, it would be great if we can have more
experienced developers to build a better IoTDB together.

Based on such a vision, I propose to initiate a “community mentor” project,
which is to select some experienced members of the community to help and
guide inexperienced members to maintain the module and develop new
features.

Regarding the process of selecting mentors, I think they can be
self-recommended or recommended by others, but no matter what, I think the
selected candidates should meet at least the following two requirements:
(if there are any problems, please feel free to point them out)

1. have patience and time available to mentor.

2. familiar enough with a specific module, and competent in mentoring at a
technical level.

After the recommendation procedure, I suggest the final list of the mentors
be decided by community voting. After that, we can let contributors who are
interested in this project sign up, then the mentors will get in touch with
them to further instruct them.

This is just a scratch, a lot of details remain to be discussed. What do
you guys think of this idea?

Best,

Jesse

Re: [Discussion] Suggestion of initiating the “Community Mentors” Project

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks, Jesse.

> and the new 1.0 version is about to be released.

Actually, we are still working on v0.12 [1] (and may release 0.11.2 as we
have fixed some bugs in 0.11.1).

I like the idea if it can help new contributors to know how to debug, how
to start a new feature of IoTDB easier.

And, I suggest invite all of our mentors when IoTDB was in the Incubator
also as the "mentors"  you said (or by default, we count them into the
list).
It is because they know the Apache Way well and can guide new contributors
how to follow the way to make contributions.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/v0.12

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Jesse Zhou <zh...@gmail.com> 于2020年12月23日周三 下午11:23写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think all committer/PMC and enthusiastic contributors could be a mentor without vote.

Yes any committer or PMC member should be helping onboard new people. If you have a large number of people to onboard, improving the documentation on how they can contribute and where they can get help could possibly help there. But there may be other ways to help as well.

> Becoming a mentor may need to share the personal contact information(email/wechat/slack/twitter, etc),

I really would encourage having public communications. If you answer one persons question on-list, you then have it there for everyone to see and have potentially helped 100’s of people. That scales a lot better than a 100 different private conversations.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Discussion] Suggestion of initiating the “Community Mentors” Project

Posted by Al Wei <wz...@163.com>.
I vote for Willem's idea, cause many questions are common.  The documentation can also be a Q&A one.
We can make the Q&A documentation better from students' questions.

| |
Al Wei

邮箱:wzh1007181398@163.com

签名由 网易邮箱大师 定制

On 12/25/2020 09:19, Willem Jiang wrote:
From a knowledge sharing perspective, I don't recommend our mentor to
use IM to answer the one to one questions.
As the Q & A could be common to others.  It's better to use the public
channel to start the discussion.
I know there could be challenges for a newbie to go through the
environment setup process without any help, it's necessary that we
provide help for the newbie. But I highly recommend we keep polish the
start up documentation to address the common questions.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
From a knowledge sharing perspective, I don't recommend our mentor to

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

The cause of this idea is Jialin and I had some talks in several
Universities in China last month, and there were tens of undergraduate
students
showed the interests in joining the community and the project. We are
thinking how to let them really join the community, rather than just saying
"ah, I am interested in it. and that's all".
But as they are Sophomore or Junior, they have no experiences about  how to
contribute to the Open Source and how to develop IoTDB
 (we have to tell them step by step, from how to import IoTDB into their
IDE to how to debug and submit PR).

In the beginning, they are not familiar with Apache Way (even includes
using  mailing list),

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I be curious to know why this needs to be formalised like this. People can help out as needed / when required, having a role like this may actually stop others (who are not recognised as mentors) from helping.

Thanks,
Justin