Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1998/02/04 17:45:42 UTC

http bytes -> network ratio ?

Anyone know (rough figures will do) by how much on average each
byte sent via HTTP expands to when sent packaged up over the net ?

I'm trying to find an answer to a question such as 'how much bandwidth
do I use sending 1k of HTTP data in 1s.'

cheers
rob

Re: http bytes -> network ratio ?

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Rob Hartill wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know (rough figures will do) by how much on average each
> > byte sent via HTTP expands to when sent packaged up over the net ?
> >
> > I'm trying to find an answer to a question such as 'how much bandwidth
> > do I use sending 1k of HTTP data in 1s.'
>
> If rough answers will do, then I'd say add 10-20% overhead. I have no
> doubt that people can cook up splendid counterexamples, but that's a
> realistic figure given no information whatsoever :-)

thanks for the info Ben, Marc and Dean.

ballpark figures were fine.

Re: http bytes -> network ratio ?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rob Hartill wrote:

> Anyone know (rough figures will do) by how much on average each
> byte sent via HTTP expands to when sent packaged up over the net ?
>
> I'm trying to find an answer to a question such as 'how much bandwidth
> do I use sending 1k of HTTP data in 1s.'

If rough answers will do, then I'd say add 10-20% overhead. I have no
doubt that people can cook up splendid counterexamples, but that's a
realistic figure given no information whatsoever :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: http bytes -> network ratio ?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It's way to hard to figure out this way.  It's way easier to just log the
total filesize of every object sent, and ask either your tcp/ip stack
(i.e. accounting rules if you have them) or your nearest router for how
much the machine really sent.

Otherwise you have to consider stuff like the initial and final handshakes
of every connection... various MTU sizes... retransmissions... yadda
yadda.

Dean

Re: http bytes -> network ratio ?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.