Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2002/07/14 17:55:50 UTC

bug in undeployment logic!

Hi Guys,

There appears to be a bug in our undeployment logic .. when
we undeploy a service, we just yank it out of the deployment
descriptor list. That part works fine.

However, we're forgetting some side effects. If the service
is deployed with application scope (and maybe even for session
scope; I'm not sure), then the object instance is recorded
in the servlet context so that we can keep going back to the
same instance. The fact that the service is undeployed means
that we'll never look for that in the context. But, its in
there.

Now, if someone were to redeploy the same service without
restarting the server, then the deployment logic just adds
the deployment descriptor into the list. Now when a request
comes in, the service is found to be declared and when the
servlet goes to create the object, it finds that its already
there! So it happily uses that!!!

If the service object had any state that obviously doesn't
work.

The fix it seems to me is to inform the provider that the
service is being undeployed and let the provider clean up.

Sanjiva.