Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au> on 2003/12/15 02:20:30 UTC

Obstructed update prevents property deletion on update

This bug has surprised me a few times where two working copies of the
same repository would have different properties but I have finally found
a recipe that works to re-create the problem.

The basic problem is when a directory has a property. You delete the
property and add a file. In a second working copy also create a file of
the same name. When you do an update in the second working copy it will
fail due to a obstructed update. If you delete the obstructed file and
rerun the update the property will not be deleted. If you delete the
whole directory and rerun the update then the property goes away.

It sound quite confusing but the attached script should demonstrate it
easily.

I've tested the script on both 0.33.0 and 0.34.0.

The only reason I found this is I use properties to maintain symlinks in
directories and when I converted a symlink to a file the symlink would
not disappear as the property was not being deleted in the WC even
though it was in the repository.

I hope someone can use this script to track down the actual problem.

Ross

Re: Obstructed update prevents property deletion on update

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ross Mark wrote:
> Ross Mark wrote:
>
>> The basic problem is when a directory has a property. You delete the
>> property and add a file. In a second working copy also create a file
>> of the same name. When you do an update in the second working copy it
>> will fail due to a obstructed update. If you delete the obstructed
>> file and rerun the update the property will not be deleted. If you
>> delete the whole directory and rerun the update then the property goes
>> away.
>
> Just wondering if I should file an issue report for this bug. I was
> originally waiting to see if someone else confirmed this was a bug or I
> was just doing something funny.

Yes, this is a real bug.  I've filed an issue for you (1672) and added
some comments.  Thanks for your excellent reproduction recipe!

/Tobias

Re: Obstructed update prevents property deletion on update

Posted by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au>.