Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Vivin Peris <vi...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/14 13:50:11 UTC

Interested in contributing to Apache Flink

Respected Sir

I am currently a final year undergrad student at National Institute of
Technology Surathkal, India.

I have extensively worked on Apache Flink in my previous internship where I
had to create a database of billions of IPs in the world along with data
associated with it.
The power of Flink is just unbelievable and helped me do work which would
take months in just a matter of two days.

With this background, I am deeply interested in applying to your esteemed
organization under Google Season of Developers. Since I am new to technical
writing, I am willing to work hard.

I would like to know what I can work on so that I can equip myself for this
task.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Sincerely
Vivin

Re: Interested in contributing to Apache Flink

Posted by Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com>.
Hi, Vivin!

Thanks for your interest in participating in Google Season of Docs (GSoD)
and contributing to Apache Flink! We're glad that you enjoyed working with
Flink before, and that it motivated you to now apply to GSoD.

Regarding what you can work on, there are no strict requirements since
there is a lot of work to be done in the Table API / SQL documentation.
Here is a bit more detail about each part of our idea proposal [1]:

*"Restructure the Table API & SQL Documentation*

Right now the Table / SQL documentation is very technical and dry to read.
It is more like a technical specification than documentation that a new
user could read. This project is to take the existing content and
rewrite/reorganize it to make what the community already has more
approachable.

*Extend the Table API & SQL Documentation*

This is to add brand new content. This could be tutorials and walkthroughs
to help onboard new users or expanding an under-documented section such as
Hive interop."

Please remember to follow the GSoD application process [2] and timeline
[3]. Let us know if you have any further questions!

Marta

[1] https://flink.apache.org/news/2020/05/04/season-of-docs.html
[2]
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/tech-writer-application-hints