Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/04/25 01:42:25 UTC

ApacheCon EU

Hi,

I saw that Dennis, Jason, Kenney, Eric, Martin, Robert, and Arnaud B
will all be at AC EU next week - is anyone else attending ApacheCon?

I think it would be good to get some time in front of a white board
to go through a couple of the big issues while we have the
opportunity for face time and to hack some things together. It sounds
like the same opportunity will present itself at JavaOne too. Of
course, we can discuss some in real time with people on IRC and bring
any output back to the list so everyone gets a chance to participate.

What day/time would suit people?

Maybe the following are appropriate for AC:
- anything more we can do for releases (polish up the staging stuff,
incorporate RAT, ...?)
- plugin integration testing and unit testing
- roadmap discussion / highlighting other issues

Any other thoughts? Interest from the folks attending in anything in
particular?

- Brett

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw that Dennis, Jason, Kenney, Eric, Martin, Robert, and Arnaud B
> will all be at AC EU next week - is anyone else attending ApacheCon?
>
> I think it would be good to get some time in front of a white board to
> go through a couple of the big issues while we have the opportunity for
> face time and to hack some things together. It sounds like the same
> opportunity will present itself at JavaOne too. Of course, we can
> discuss some in real time with people on IRC and bring any output back
> to the list so everyone gets a chance to participate.

Sound good.

> What day/time would suit people?

I'm flexible.

> Maybe the following are appropriate for AC:
> - anything more we can do for releases (polish up the staging stuff,
> incorporate RAT, ...?)
> - plugin integration testing and unit testing
> - roadmap discussion / highlighting other issues

I'm especially interested in different testing techniques for plugins.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
That works fine for me.

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
I'll see if I can come, but I have a meeting during lunch and really need to go to Cliffs sessions..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hello,

> Any other thoughts? Interest from the folks attending in anything in
> particular?

I am far from being a regular contributor to maven, for lack of time
and lack of the "big picture" (hence lack of time to construct it
myself from code source), maybe also from lack of skill. My main
interest in ApacheCon is then to meet the people behind maven who have
this "big picture" in their head, to understand the choices,
rationales and plans behind what maven is and will be, so that I could
feel more comfortable in doing some hacking on it. I am the kind of
person that needs to understand what's under the hood to start working
on something.

More specifically, I am interested in discussing/advancing/learning on
the following topics:
 - unified reporting system that would allow easier dashboards,
 statistics collection, report generation... (already talked about it
 a while ago)
 - maven test execution and reporting system (ie. surefire), at all
 levels: unit, integration, functional. There
 seems to be a lot of open issues without assignees, and I would like to
 provide manpower on these and to work on a more general view of
 automated testing.
 - maven documentation system (ie. doxia)
 - Jason Van Zyl Enterprise maven initiative.

See you next week,

Regards.
--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Hi Brett,

I've got it arranged to get a co-worker of mine to go to your training, with the goal of hearing
things from you instead of me ;)

List of my things :
- Give an overview of what's going on the Netherlands atm in relation to Maven2.
- Discussion on the *current* state of things (not in depth, just general)
- A lot of other thoughts coming from the first option
- The Maven Plugin for Eclipse (!= the mojo). In short : I've written one myself and would like to
move that back to MevenIDE.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 25 Apr 07, at 9:11 AM 25 Apr 07, Steven Rowe wrote:

>> I'm trying to sort out a way to go from OO to Wiki as I can't work
>> anymore with OO. That's OmniOutliner not OpenOffice (which is a
>> terrible
>> piece of software).
>
> Which is terrible?  OpenOffice or OmniOutliner?  And if OpenOffice,
> why?

OmniOutliner is _amazing_! Anything written by the OmniGroup is
fabulous. I tried writing parts of a book with OpenOffice and I would
rather pull out my own fingernails then use it again. On the MAC it's
slow, has a terrible interface, generally hard to use and just butt
ugly. I would use Word before I used OpenOffice now and coming from
me that's quite a statement.

Jason.

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Re: ApacheCon EU

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 24 Apr 07, at 7:42 PM 24 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw that Dennis, Jason, Kenney, Eric, Martin, Robert, and Arnaud
> B will all be at AC EU next week - is anyone else attending ApacheCon?

Eric and Kenney won't be joining us, but they will be at JavaOne. The
Sonatype will be coming en masse to JavaOne and we're happy to
organize something there, I'll send another email about it. I've
secured some working space if we want it.

> I think it would be good to get some time in front of a white board
> to go through a couple of the big issues while we have the
> opportunity for face time and to hack some things together. It
> sounds like the same opportunity will present itself at JavaOne
> too. Of course, we can discuss some in real time with people on IRC
> and bring any output back to the list so everyone gets a chance to
> participate.
>
> What day/time would suit people?

We could throw up a quick calendar on Google that has free access and
then we can see busy/free slots.

> Maybe the following are appropriate for AC:
> - anything more we can do for releases (polish up the staging
> stuff, incorporate RAT, ...?)
> - plugin integration testing and unit testing
> - roadmap discussion / highlighting other issues
>
> Any other thoughts? Interest from the folks attending in anything
> in particular?

This is my rough list:

- [ ] Architectural Goals for Maven 2.1
     - [ ] Plugins
         - [ ] Refactor Plugin Manager
             - [ ] Removal of the Plugin Registry (done)
             - [ ] Load Plugin dependencies into a separate ClassRealm
                   (done)
         - [ ] Plugin Execution Environment: Ability to run any version
               of a plugin where an environment is created which
               contains all the requirements for a particular version of
               the Plugin API
             - [ ] Expressions: supporting old annotations and allowing
                   for new ones. The expression evaluator would become
                   part of the execution environment
     - [ ] Reporting
         - [ ] Report Execution Environment: Ability to run any version
               of a report where an environment is created which
               contains all the requirements for a particular version of
               the Report API
         - [ ] Decouple reporting from core
     - [ ] Artifact Resolution
         - [ ] Graph-based artifact resolution
         - [ ] Decouple from Maven's core
     - [ ] Decouple script-based Plugins from the core
     - [ ] Refactor Project Builder
         - [ ] Pluggable model readers
             - [ ] A new terse format that uses attributes
             - [ ] Allow mixin capabilities using an import directive
             - [ ] Automatic parent versioning
     - [ ] Execution Configuration
         - [ ] Remove Settings from the core and make it a user facing
               configuration
             - [ ] The Embedder should be the only place Settings are
                   dealt with
             - [ ] Remove from the ProfileManager: profile information
                   can be used from the ExecutionRequest
             - [ ] Remove from the PluginLoader: the plugin groups can
                   come in from the ExecutionRequest
             - [ ] Remove from the ExecutionRequest
             - [ ] Remove from the Session
         - [ ] Have one configuration model for request
         - [ ] Have one configuration model for session: session takes
               the request in the constructor and delegates
     - [ ] Domain logging
     - [ ]
- [ ] Project/Community Issues
     - [ ] Surefire