Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/01/08 16:08:31 UTC

Hoya Proposal

I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal

It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either application,
run different clusters of different versions, and remember where containers
were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.

It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that help,
but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
 -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
"greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives

Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which need
provider-specific workload generations

Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....

To summarise: lots of fun to be had

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> Andreas, to me, Twill is a library, a convenience library, that one
> can use to write Yarn apps. Hoya aims to provide a general framework
> using which one can take existing apps (HBase/Accumulo to start with),
> and make them run well in a Yarn cluster, without intruding at all
> into the App internals. The goal is to have minimal, ideally zero
> changes, in the App itself. The only glue between the App and Hoya is
> a Hoya interface that the App needs to implement for it to be
> deployable/manageable by Hoya.
>
> Although, one could argue that Hoya can be written using Twill
> libraries (which is something we should pursue as part of
> long/medium-term collaboration between the two projects),

FWIW the first iteration was 100% groovy, using my 2012 "Grumpy" code as a
starting point https://github.com/steveloughran/grumpy -

The later iterations are all Java.

The current design tries to have a clean model-view split server side, with
all the server state stored independently from the AM itself,

https://github.com/hortonworks/hoya/tree/develop/hoya-core/src/main/java/org/apache/hoya/yarn/appmaster/state

This state is something that could perhaps be worked out into something
more re-usable, as all it really does is

-take a specification of role types, the no. of instances of each, and
some options (there's an unused anti-affinity flag)
- build a model of the cluster, including live containers, queued
operations, nodes in the YARN cluster and their history
- Build up a list of actions: requests and releases aimed at keeping
the model (and hence the deployed app) consistent with the
specification.
- persist placement history to HDFS for best-effort reassignment
requests on cluster restart ( see
https://github.com/hortonworks/hoya/blob/master/src/site/markdown/rolehistory.md
)
- Respond to relayed events (container assignment, failure, rebuild
after AM restart by updating model

For any long-lived YARN service, the goal "keep the number of
instances of a role constant" is an underlying use case, from
Distributed Shell up. Hoya just effectively allows this to be driven
by an JSON document persisted to HDFS, updated via RPC, and delegates
to plugin providers the work of actually starting processes at the far
end.

I've love to see this pulled out and re-usable, indeed, I'd love to
see the YARN dshell architecture redone a bit more cleanly too:

Not only would that give something for others to use, but there are
some aspect of failure handling that we can/should improve in a way
that would benefit all apps, such as better weighted moving average
failure tracking, sophisticated policies on reacting to it, and moving
beyond a simple works/doesn't work to a more nuanced greylist of
perceived server reliability:
http://steveloughran.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/greylisting-like-blacklisting-only-more.html

If we can work with the Twill team to factor this stuff into something
broadly re-usable, that would be great for everyone.

-steve

ps. I'd a standard management service API too

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2014 10:10, Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> (side note: When a project graduates, a PMC is established and tasked with
>> a specific task. Two PMCs cannot have the same task. Therefore, it is
>> better in my opinion to either clearly differentiate the projects from
>> start, or join them from start.)
>>

> Really? Because while I am confident that hoya and twill are different, i
> do note similarities between ant, maven and buildr, commons-logging, log4j
> and avalon-logger,..

Now if two podling entered the Incubator around the same time with the
same goal I think it would be unwise to not a. set both on parallel
tracks instead of the same or b. make them one train from start.

  Bernd

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 17 January 2014 10:10, Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Very informative explanation. I've got a better understanding of the
> proposal now.
>
> I suggest that a remark like this is added to the Hoya proposal, so this
> part of the discussion becomes part of the vote on the proposal.The
> proposal's "Known Risk" section lacks a "Relationships with Other Apache
> Products" paragraph, which would be a good place to add this information.
> There are more considerations missing that we have in other proposals. I'd
> suggest to add them, too, to complete the proposal.

I've added more on this

> All-in-all I'm currently -1 on the proposal as it is, but ready to change
> to +1 as this discussion reaches a consent.

Would you or anyone else like a Demo? I could do it online via google+ or
webex

> (side note: When a project graduates, a PMC is established and tasked with
> a specific task. Two PMCs cannot have the same task. Therefore, it is
> better in my opinion to either clearly differentiate the projects from
> start, or join them from start.)

Really? Because while I am confident that hoya and twill are different, i
do note similarities between ant, maven and buildr, commons-logging, log4j
and avalon-logger,..

Of course, if you look at the history there they were launched
sequentially, and apache logging is now an uber-project for everything bar
avalon, whose sole appearance is in unexplained transitive artefact
dependencies.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Thanks,

  Bernd

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
I think that Andreas has a valid point.
With the description you are giving here, there seems to be much more
overlap with the Twill podling than I initially anticipated.

In the Hoya proposal, I'd like to learn about how it compares to Twill and
why it makes sense to start another such podling while the other one is
still ongoing.

  Bernd

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I'd put more in common with Helix than twill -twill is for building YARN
apps, Hoya focused on deploying existing apps into YARN containers. It's a
lot more minimal than Helix -it doesn't run its own code in any of the
containers other than the AM

On 14 January 2014 03:33, Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Hoya has a lot of good ideas. How do think it relates to Twill (recently
> incubated at http://twill.incubator.apache.org/)? I feel that there is a
> lot of overlap in what both projects are trying to achieve. Do you think
> they complement each other? Is there opportunity for collaboration, perhaps
> cross-contributing or even converging the two projects?
>
> -Andreas.
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
> > dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN
> >
> > https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal
> >
> > It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either
> application,
> > run different clusters of different versions, and remember where
> containers
> > were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
> > That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.
> >
> > It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that
> help,
> > but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
> >  -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
> > and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
> > "greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives
> >
> > Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
> > installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which
> need
> > provider-specific workload generations
> >
> > Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
> > endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
> > displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....
> >
> > To summarise: lots of fun to be had
> >
> > -steve
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Steve,

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
We're doing some redesign and need to get some more progress on that before
putting the proposal out -otherwise people wouldn't get a current view of
what's being built.

-steve

On 5 March 2014 01:07, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I am just wondering: are you in a position to move forward with the
> proposal at this point or are you still mulling over the feedback?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
> > dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN
> >
> > https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal
> >
> > It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either
> application,
> > run different clusters of different versions, and remember where
> containers
> > were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
> > That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.
> >
> > It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that
> help,
> > but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
> >  -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
> > and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
> > "greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives
> >
> > Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
> > installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which
> need
> > provider-specific workload generations
> >
> > Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
> > endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
> > displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....
> >
> > To summarise: lots of fun to be had
> >
> > -steve
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Steve,

Awesome, thanks.

Regards
JB

On 01/09/2014 10:20 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> thanks, that's a great offer -lovely to have some management oversight from
> others.
>
> I've put your name down
>

> On 8 January 2014 15:18, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> it looks interesting. It's a kind of "advanced" provisioning for Hadoop
>> cluster. I see some potential interesting "work together" with other
>> projects.
>>
>> I would be please to be mentor on Hoya.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 01/08/2014 04:08 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>>
>>> I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
>>> dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN
>>>
>>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal
>>>
>>> It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either
>>> application,
>>> run different clusters of different versions, and remember where
>>> containers
>>> were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
>>> That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.
>>>
>>> It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that help,
>>> but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
>>>    -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
>>> and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
>>> "greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives
>>>
>>> Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
>>> installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which
>>> need
>>> provider-specific workload generations
>>>
>>> Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
>>> endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
>>> displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....
>>>
>>> To summarise: lots of fun to be had
>>>
>>> -steve
>>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
thanks, that's a great offer -lovely to have some management oversight from
others.

I've put your name down

On 8 January 2014 15:18, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> it looks interesting. It's a kind of "advanced" provisioning for Hadoop
> cluster. I see some potential interesting "work together" with other
> projects.
>
> I would be please to be mentor on Hoya.
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 01/08/2014 04:08 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
>> dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal
>>
>> It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either
>> application,
>> run different clusters of different versions, and remember where
>> containers
>> were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
>> That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.
>>
>> It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that help,
>> but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
>>   -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
>> and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
>> "greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives
>>
>> Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
>> installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which
>> need
>> provider-specific workload generations
>>
>> Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
>> endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
>> displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....
>>
>> To summarise: lots of fun to be had
>>
>> -steve
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Steve,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah yes, I missed the additional hadoop in the path.

Close enough :)

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Steve did already indeed.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Hoya - Hadoop Oriented Yarn Applications.
:)

As Andrew indicates - stick with Hoya.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
There isn't anything in the same domain named Hoya that I am aware of. One
can get to Hoya from other avenues - it is a county and city in Germany; or
it is the genus for several hundred tropical plants. According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoya, hoya flowers grow in a configuration
referred to as an "umbel", which resembles what one might draw of the
logical relationship of YARN application processes on the cluster.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM, larry mccay <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Marvin. Either works fine.
> The original meaning of Hoya doesn't have to continue to be acknowledged.
>

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On that note, I know we've used the acronym "hoya", HBase on YARN, but
> > it is
> > > already a bit out of date.
> > >
> > > What do people think about a project name "Hyena"? It's close enough,
> > lives
> > > in the savannah...
> >
> > Based on Google searches for `hoya software` and `hyena software`, it
> would
> > seem that Hoya is more distinctive.
> >
> > I don't think either of them specifically conveys what the software
> > does.  Neither
> > is hard to spell or pronounce.  Both are nice and short.
> >
> > Marvin Humphrey

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 13, 2014, at 6:33 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> On 9 January 2014 21:55, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Proposal looks good. Let me know if you need any additional help in
>> mentors.
>>
>> Enis
>>

> +1 -I'd really like input from the HBase and Accumulo teams as they are the
> first apps we're trying to work with.
>
> On that note, I know we've used the acronym "hoya", HBase on YARN, but it
> is already a bit out of date.

I thought someone lived in or went to Georgetown.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 13/01/14 21:57, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 13/01/14 20:25, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's too close to http://jena.apache.org/
>>
>> to be clear, this is a strong -1 from me, having confusing project
>> names inside Apache is not ok. Hyena and Jena sound exactly the same
>> in several languages, unfortunately.
>
> The "j-e-n" in "Jena" is like "Jen-kins" or "Gen-er-al".
>
> It is derived from "Jennifer"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_%28given_name%29
>
> which is often, but not here, with "nn":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna

BTW I had nothing to do with the project name.  Before my time.  Other
names used within the project you can fault me for but not this one.

	Andy

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
not yet, but that should be the goal. It's already a hadoop-cliuster-ready
app, so all that is needed is patching the configs for the target cluster
(filesystem, ZK, security) and building up the commands to exec

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Hi, Hoya looks nice.

> 5. Help migrate more distributed applications into YARN clusters - such as Apache HAMA.

BTW, this means that HAMA can be deployed on YARN cluster using HOYA
without implement separate YARN application?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> thanks Jakob - we haven't had a vote yet though, still discussing the
> proposal
>

> On 22 January 2014 06:57, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> HOYA looks like a useful bit of code,which if squinted at appropriately,
>> might, sorta be able to be implemented with another useful bit of code
>> already in the incubator. But could just as well be independent.  Let's let
>> HOYA in and see where the communities that develop around it and Twill want
>> to go.  Samza would certainly be interested in evaluating it as it matures.
>>
>> +1 (binding) on the proposal.
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Chris Riccomini
>> <cr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Hey Guys,
>> >
>> > I'd like to +1 non-binding Hoya (or whatever you want to call it). It's
>> > going to be really useful for the YARN ecosystem to have a project like
>> > this out there, and it makes a lot of sense to put it in Apache.
>> >
>> > Hopefully we can move past the naming stuff, and get the project in.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Chris
>> >

>> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Tommaso Teofili <
>> > tommaso.teofili@gmail.com

>> > and
>> > it

>> > be

>> > you
>> > future-
>> > started.

>> > cluster,

>> > entity
>> confidential,
>> > reader
>> notified
>> > > >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Guys,

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

@Steve I'm curious to know if also Apache Hama may leverage Hoya to be
deployed on YARN.

If yes, that'd hopefully bring some more people involved from Hama as well.

My 0.02 cents,
Tommaso

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.
Deveraj,

all these features that you list are not only useful for existing
applications but also for applications developed with Twill.
But I agree that the initial focus of the projects is different, and we
should keep talking in the future abut possible convergence.

-Andreas.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
I should we shouldn't rule out a name just because the English pronunciation is similar to another project.
Will people really confuse Apache Hyena and Apache Jena?
Would have to be a face-to-face conversation or a recording where either party do not really know what they are talking about.

That said, "Hoya" seems like a fine name to me as well.

I do wonder whether it is a large enough project to be standalone (rather then being folded into either Hadoop or HBase).

Just my $0.02.

-- Lars

________________________________
As a project name "Jena" has been in use for the project for about 13
years now.  1.0 was 9 Jan 2001.   A mere 983K (zipped).

The discussion is about Hyena for Hoya.

    Andy

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I don't this is something to worry about much -Hoya is good too, lots of
things outlive their acroynms. SOAP, for example

On 14 January 2014 12:03, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> As a project name "Jena" has been in use for the project for about 13
> years now.  1.0 was 9 Jan 2001.   A mere 983K (zipped).
>
> The discussion is about Hyena for Hoya.
>
>         Andy
>

> On 13/01/14 23:38, sebb wrote:
>
>> Jenny ?
>>
>> On 13 January 2014 22:21, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Too many people will read that as Jena, the city in Thuringia.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena
>>>
>>> -1

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Jenny ?

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
Which languages are they? I would expect the english pronounciation would
be relevant, where Hyena (see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hyena) is quite
different from Jena.

  Bernd

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
+1

  Bernd

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for Hyena.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 10 January 2014 09:54, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> can I help during the week end ?
>
> Regards
> JB

I'm just running the post-rename tests now; functional test runner came
first...

-steve

> On 01/10/2014 10:31 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> I'm going to do the rename over the w/end, I just need to get a functional
>> tests branch in, because merge-over-renames is one of those things you
>> don't want to have to do.
>>

>> On 9 January 2014 17:29, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>  argh, gmail trying to be extra smart collapsed his comment on that and i
>>> missed. sorry
>>>
>>> thx
>>>
>>> Alejandro
>>> (phone typing)

>>> proper.

> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Steve,

can I help during the week end ?

Regards
JB

On 01/10/2014 10:31 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> I'm going to do the rename over the w/end, I just need to get a functional
> tests branch in, because merge-over-renames is one of those things you
> don't want to have to do.
>

> On 9 January 2014 17:29, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> argh, gmail trying to be extra smart collapsed his comment on that and i
>> missed. sorry
>>
>> thx
>>
>> Alejandro
>> (phone typing)
>>
>>> On Jan 9, 2014, at 9:23, larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alejandro -
>>>
>>> I believe that Steve has already acknowledged that a package rename is
>>> required and that the project is likely not appropriate for Hadoop
>> proper.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> --larry

>> that

>> application

>> have

>> notified

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I'm going to do the rename over the w/end, I just need to get a functional
tests branch in, because merge-over-renames is one of those things you
don't want to have to do.

On 9 January 2014 17:29, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> argh, gmail trying to be extra smart collapsed his comment on that and i
> missed. sorry
>
> thx
>
> Alejandro
> (phone typing)
>
> > On Jan 9, 2014, at 9:23, larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Alejandro -
> >
> > I believe that Steve has already acknowledged that a package rename is
> > required and that the project is likely not appropriate for Hadoop
> proper.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > --larry
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I may have not been clear enough, I was referring to using
> >> 'org.apache.hadoop' as package prefix for a project other than hadoop.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com

> >> the
> >> the

> >> stevel@hortonworks.com

> >> tool

> that

> application
> >> which

> >> notified
> have

> >> confidential,
> notified

> >> --
> >> Alejandro

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Hi Alejandro -

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> If you can work out a plan to do this directly in Hadoop, there's no
> need for the incubator. You just build and and contribute it in
> cahoots with them, and earn commit over there as you go.
>
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> > Mmmh, if i recall correctly this has come up in the past with other
> projects and it was decided against it. Could you please check with the
> hadoop folks about it?
> >
> > Thx
> >
> >> On Jan 9, 2014, at 1:19 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> no its wrong, it should all be under org.apache.hoya.
> >>
> >> I had the hadoop prefix so that I could perhaps put it straight into the
> >> hadoop code as another tools module -no need for incubation. But as the
> >> actual providers and all tests are related to the deployment of hbase
> and
> >> accumulo, it really comes downstream of those.
> >>
> >> so a rename is needed.
> >>
> >> but yes, ASF headers everywhere

> back.

> unreliability

> well as
> tools....

> entity
> confidential,
> reader

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
> immediately

Alejandro

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Hoya Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
no its wrong, it should all be under org.apache.hoya.

I had the hadoop prefix so that I could perhaps put it straight into the
hadoop code as another tools module -no need for incubation. But as the
actual providers and all tests are related to the deployment of hbase and
accumulo, it really comes downstream of those.

so a rename is needed.

but yes, ASF headers everywhere

On 8 January 2014 22:48, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like how the initial code already put under "
> org.apache.hadoop.hoya"  with correct ASF header =)
>
> - Henry
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
> > dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN
> >
> > https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal
> >
> > It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either
> application,
> > run different clusters of different versions, and remember where
> containers
> > were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
> > That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.
> >
> > It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that
> help,
> > but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
> >  -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
> > and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
> > "greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives
> >
> > Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
> > installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which
> need
> > provider-specific workload generations
> >
> > Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
> > endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
> > displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....
> >
> > To summarise: lots of fun to be had
> >
> > -steve
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE