Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Morozova, Nadezhda" <na...@intel.com> on 2006/06/19 17:19:28 UTC

[doc] [VM] have useful info on how to debug DRLVM & Jitrino

Hi,

I would like to submit a debugging/tracing guide for VM/just-in-time debugging and troubleshooting in DRLVM. This might be useful for developers trying to debug DRLVM.

There's some rather straight-forward stuff to do in Eclipse plus some less trivial config options description and some debug scenarios. I hope the info can be of help to you.

The question is how to best deploy it. The options I see:

1) Patch the Harmony site and deploy the doc as a simple HTML file on the Harmony documentation

2) Patch the DRLVM source code bundle documentation: add some section to the developer's guide

3) Post the content on Harmony Wiki for editing and discussion; move the final version into the DRLVM doc set some time later if needed

I personally like the last option but have no strong feelings about it. I can do whichever you think is wiser. Please let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Nadya Morozova

Re: [doc] [VM] have useful info on how to debug DRLVM & Jitrino

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to submit a debugging/tracing guide for VM/just-in-time debugging and troubleshooting in DRLVM. This might be useful for developers trying to debug DRLVM.

YAY!

> There's some rather straight-forward stuff to do in Eclipse plus some less trivial config options description and some debug scenarios. I hope the info can be of help to you.

I know it's hard to believe, but what about if someone isn't using
eclipse? ;)

> The question is how to best deploy it. The options I see:
>

> 1) Patch the Harmony site and deploy the doc as a simple HTML file on the Harmony documentation
>
> 2) Patch the DRLVM source code bundle documentation: add some section to the developer's guide
>
> 3) Post the content on Harmony Wiki for editing and discussion; move the final version into the DRLVM doc set some time later if needed

If you have it, how about posting as a JIRA in whatever form it is now
so we can read it, and then try to make a patch to the harmony site,
incorporating whatever feedback people throw at you (on this list).

geir

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
I would prefer option 1. Check out the site from SVN, make the xdocs
modifications for your documentation and then post it as a JIRA issue in the
form of a patch and new files.

-Nathan