Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Robert Breidecker <rb...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/29 20:01:55 UTC

Multiple browser windows causing session issue

I have a stateful Tapestry application which includes
a wizard that steps the user from one page to another
to collect input data.  If I run my application in two
browser windows (or tabs) within the same browser
session, each instance of my application steps on the
session variables in the the other instance.

I noticed that the HTML for each application contained
the same jsessionid.  I turned off cookies for my
application at the server level (Tomcat 5.5) and then
my application worked fine across two browser windows.
The URLs for both instances now include the jsessionid
in them and each jsessionid is different.

Even though this works for me, is this really the way
to solve my problem?  It seems like I must be missing
something in Tapestry that would handle this for me,
regardless if cookies are on or off.

~Rob Breidecker

Re: Multiple browser windows causing session issue

Posted by Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net>.
It depends on the setup of your wizard, if it a single page iterating
over components or a series of tapestry pages following each other - but
either way you prevent such problems by persisting flow information in
the client, not as cookies but on a page - based in URLs.

You should always keep in mind the information flow and know what is
stored where, this will keep you out of such troubles.

For example, you may persist some information as hidden fields in your
form. However, you can not do this if you use Autocompleter or other
json requests, since they don't submit the form.

In such cases you can use the excelent @Persist("client:page") which
will store everything inside URLs, but will not persist across pages:
component X with a persistant property on page A and component X - the
same component - on page B will not share the data, you will have to
activley "transfer" it either in your listener code (submit or direct
link) or via an external link.

Cheers,
Ron

Robert Breidecker wrote:
> I have a stateful Tapestry application which includes
> a wizard that steps the user from one page to another
> to collect input data.  If I run my application in two
> browser windows (or tabs) within the same browser
> session, each instance of my application steps on the
> session variables in the the other instance.
>
> I noticed that the HTML for each application contained
> the same jsessionid.  I turned off cookies for my
> application at the server level (Tomcat 5.5) and then
> my application worked fine across two browser windows.
> The URLs for both instances now include the jsessionid
> in them and each jsessionid is different.
>
> Even though this works for me, is this really the way
> to solve my problem?  It seems like I must be missing
> something in Tapestry that would handle this for me,
> regardless if cookies are on or off.
>
> ~Rob Breidecker

RE: Multiple browser windows causing session issue

Posted by Ma...@bmw.ch.
It should be reasonably straightforward, but will require a decent,
non-trivial amount of work/fiddling to implement really transparently.
For me, it's, at the moment, just not worth the work. I've talked with
James Carmen about this and I think, he wanted to do something like
that, but don't know about the status of it.

Afaik, the most advance impl of this is what the JBoss/Seam guys did.
You might want to have a look at that.

Marcus

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@gmail.com>.
Daniel,

Posted by Robert Breidecker <rb...@yahoo.com>.
I agree.  It seems like this is something Howard could
get into Tapestry 5.  I believe JBoss Seam is already
supporting something like this.

Posted by Daniel Tabuenca <dt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Beshai <pb...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Breidecker <rb...@yahoo.com>.