Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Laufer, Michael" <mi...@entory.com> on 2001/01/12 18:51:44 UTC

struts-template problem

Hi,

I've just downloaded Struts version 1.0 and face the following problem while
trying to run the template-example.
I've programmed already almost half a year with Struts 0.5, but I'm not
familiar with the following error.
Am I making something terribly wrong, or is it a simple missconfiguration ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Michael
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to open taglibrary
/WEB-INF/tlds/struts-template.tld : Parse Error in the tag library
descriptor: com.sun.xml.parser/V-036 web-app welcome-file-list
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.handleDirective(JspParseEve
ntListener.java, Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleDirective(DelegatingList
ener.java:116)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Directive.accept(Parser.java,
Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java, Compiled
Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1038)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1034)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java,
Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:149)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:161)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispatcherImpl.j
ava:163)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java, Compiled
Code)
	at
onnectionHandler.java, Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java,
Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Re: struts-template problem

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Laufer, Michael" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just downloaded Struts version 1.0 and face the following problem while
> trying to run the template-example.
> I've programmed already almost half a year with Struts 0.5, but I'm not
> familiar with the following error.
> Am I making something terribly wrong, or is it a simple missconfiguration ?

The problem sounds like it is actually in your web.xml file (perhaps the
<welcome-file-list> element is in the wrong place?).  The JSP page compiler
reads web.xml as it compiles pages, and it uses a validating XML parser -- so
the web.xml file must conform to the DTD requirements for element ordering.

Also, you don't say whether this is Tomcat 3.1 or 3.2 -- you should be advised
that Tomcat 3.1 has a number of significant problems that affect use of Struts
1.0, and it is *not* a recommended platform.  If you are using 3.1, I suggest
that you upgrade.

> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michael