Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org> on 2003/11/12 12:05:35 UTC

[OT Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive

>>IDEA does it pretty good: Removes trailing
>>spaces when saving a file, replaces existing tabs with spaces on save,
>>when using the key TAB it adds spaces to the file. But unfortunately
>>IDEA is not for free.
>

> Ah, others keep mentioning IDEA too.

Hm... just wondering if they might give away a general
ASF licence (that is maybe restricted on editing classes
only in org.apache packages)

...may I ask as Apache "representative"?
--
Torsten

Re: [OT Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:
> I've started to evaluate IDEA as well because eclipse on mach-o is
> simply not usable if you don't have several GBs of RAM (and I don't)

lol. We are using Eclipse and in fact I need to upgrade our 3 machines to
512, 768 and 1024 of RAM respectively. :-D

It looks like eclipse has a "contract" with RAM producents. :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [OT Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>> Hm... just wondering if they might give away a general
>> ASF licence (that is maybe restricted on editing classes
>> only in org.apache packages)
>>
>> ...may I ask as Apache "representative"?
>

> no, but you can ask the ASF board as Apache committer. ;-)

well, will do this then :)
--
Torsten

[OT] IDEA (Was: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Mercredi, 12 nov 2003, à 14:57 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :
> ...I'll keep you people posted on this since many switchers find
> themselves with one thing missing: a decent java IDE...

FWIW, I've been using IDEA on macosx since the beginning of this year,
and I like it a lot (actually they could send me a bag of chocolate,
I've said this several times already ;-)

I'm not an IDE guy though, so I don't know about "exotic" features, but
for editing, navigating code, debugging and launching ant tasks it is
perfect for me, and you can feel that its designers are code guys - it
is packed with nice touches which make my (programming) life easier!

-Bertrand

Re: [OT Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:05, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> IDEA does it pretty good: Removes trailing spaces when saving a
>>> file, replaces existing tabs with spaces on save, when using the key
>>> TAB it adds spaces to the file. But unfortunately IDEA is not for
>>> free.
>> Ah, others keep mentioning IDEA too.
>
> Hm... just wondering if they might give away a general
> ASF licence (that is maybe restricted on editing classes
> only in org.apache packages)
>
> ...may I ask as Apache "representative"?

no, but you can ask the ASF board as Apache committer. ;-)

I've started to evaluate IDEA as well because eclipse on mach-o is
simply not usable if you don't have several GBs of RAM (and I don't)

So far, it's beating the crap out of eclipse in terms of performance on
macosx... but I haven't really *load it* as much as I did with eclipse.
I'll keep you people posted on this since many switchers find
themselves with one thing missing: a decent java IDE (panther's Xcode
is not so bad... but it's simply too mac-oriented... it's great for
objective-c.. but misses way too many features that eclipse and IDEA
have)

> --
Stefano.