Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Ma, June" <ju...@commerceone.com> on 2002/04/06 04:09:55 UTC

some questions

Hi AXIS experts,

I reviewed this AXIS package and have some questions that I can't figure out
the answer. I'd appreciate if you can give me some help.
1. Do you ever do any kind of xml instance validation? If you do, how do you
figure out the schema location information ?

2. We are doing the document based SOAP service. I noticed that none of the
base classes extends java.io.Serializable. How do you make the soap message
itself serializable ? There are plenty of discussions about different data
type serialization, aren't these all around the RPC calls ?

Thanks,
-June

Re: some questions

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com>.
Hi June!

1. All of our validation is currently in the deserializers.  The schema information (i.e. what XML to expect when) exists in the form of a TypeDesc (org.apache.axis.description.TypeDesc) for JavaBeans, which is the common case.  This will match up elements/attributes to the appropriate Java accessors, but will not handle validating more complex schema constraints about values (well, we do handle enumerated types, but not, for instance, "integers from 0 to 100").  We plan to add this richer schema validation support later.

2. I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  Our serializaition/deserialization mechanism does not rely on "RPC-ness" at all, and in fact there are several doc/lit examples in our tests (see test.wsdl.nested, or test.wsdl.literal) which use XML<->Java databinding in a document style.  If you're talking about passing SOAPElements or DOM Elements around, we support that to a limited extent now and will improve this stuff later as well.

Hope this helps,
--Glen