Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/21 14:35:39 UTC

Merging model and model-xml modules into one

I think we've consensus now that instead of having three maven modules
(model/model-xml/model-runtime) its ok to have the model and model-xml in a
single module, but we've still some model-xml modules in 2.x so i'd like to
merge them into the associated model module. Please say if you've any
objections.

   ...ant

Re: Merging model and model-xml modules into one

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:45 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > But what are those concerns? No one has ever given any technical reasons
>> > for
>> > keeping them separate that makes sense if we're not doing it
>> > consistently.
>> >

>> Having the xml processors in a separate module would allow us execute
>> the compatibility stuff for 2.x discussed in [1]....
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/2cez45rwmj43jxwa
>>

> What specifically in there could we not do if the code was in a single
> module?
>
>    ...ant

Having separate modules give us the flexibility to provide a clean
OASIS distribution and also a OSOA backward compatible
distribution.... users/embedders/etc would have a choice.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: Merging model and model-xml modules into one

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 on Mike's proposal.

Wonderful!

> over-engineering. Meanwhile, I really don't think merging functionally
> decoupled modules into a fat one is going to reduce spaghetti as it just
> hides the spaghetti. I would rather get all the dependencies uncovered and
> refactor the code to reduce them to a bare minimum. From OSGi's view,
> creating a big bundle that contains everything won't get any benefits such
> as modularity, isolations, versioning, or dynamicity promised by OSGi.

No one has suggested "a big bundle that contains everything". I know
the module breakdown is a bit of a touchy subject from Tuscany's
history thats why i've started all this discussion not just gone off
CTR changing things, lets try to forget past prejudices and make it
better this time.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see the dependency is a bit involved. IMO, the databinding based schema
> generation is OK as dependencies.
> The J2W piece doesn't have to be viewed as runtime dependencies.

The problem is with the lengthy list of dependencies. Its been said a
goal is to have the model separated from the runtime so people could
use it to read/write/proccess the SCDL XML files, but for that to be
useful you'd expect it to be an obvious list of modules with few
dependencies - ideally something like some Tuscany jars with obvious
names and some stax parser dependencies, but its not that, here's the
list of modules needed by tuscany-binidng-ws-wsdlgen:

activation-1.1.jar
annogen-0.1.0.jar
ant-1.7.0.jar
ant-launcher-1.7.0.jar
asm-3.1.jar
axiom-api-1.2.7.jar
axiom-dom-1.2.7.jar
axiom-impl-1.2.7.jar
axis2-kernel-1.4.1.jar
cglib-2.2.jar
commons-codec-1.2.jar
commons-fileupload-1.2.jar
commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
commons-io-1.4.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
geronimo-activation_1.1_spec-1.0.1.jar
geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec-1.2.jar
geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.1.jar
geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.1.jar
httpcore-4.0-beta1.jar
httpcore-nio-4.0-beta1.jar
jaxb-api-2.1.jar
jaxb-impl-2.1.9.jar
jaxen-1.1.1.jar
jaxws-api-2.1.jar
jsr181-api-1.0-MR1.jar
jsr250-api-1.0.jar
junit-4.5.jar
mail-1.4.jar
neethi-2.0.4.jar
servlet-api-2.3.jar
tuscany-assembly-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-assembly-xml-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-binding-ws-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-binding-ws-axis2-policy-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-contribution-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-contribution-java-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-contribution-namespace-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-contribution-xml-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-core-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-core-databinding-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-core-spi-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-databinding-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-databinding-axiom-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-databinding-jaxb-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-definitions-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-extensibility-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-interface-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-interface-java-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-interface-java-jaxws-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-interface-java-xml-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-interface-wsdl-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-monitor-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-policy-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-policy-security-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-sca-api-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
tuscany-xsd-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
woden-api-1.0M8.jar
woden-impl-dom-1.0M8.jar
wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar
wstx-asl-3.2.4.jar
xmlParserAPIs-2.6.0.jar
XmlSchema-1.4.2.jar

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please see comments inline.
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Ah ok i'd misunderstood. I didn't investigate. All i did was one by
one merge all the old -xml modules into the model modules and most
just worked except for those five. A quick look showed there was
problems with things like cyclic dependencies. It may turn out that we
need to keep some of those separate or we need to move classes about
into more appropriate modules.

Each module needs to be investigated, i've started on the
binding-ws-xml one and posted that other thread about it, and there's
now some conversation on this thread about the contribution-xml one
too. If you'd like to help pick one of those other modules and try to
do the merge.

What would be good to end up with is a clear and common understanding
of the type of function provided by each module and have that
reflected in an as consistent as possible naming pattern and have a
README in each module briefly summarizing its purpose.

>>> Can you give us an example to show the runtime module is dragged in?
>>
>> See http://apache.markmail.org/message/tyvnziazg22or4lu
>
> I see the dependency is a bit involved. IMO, the databinding based schema
> generation is OK as dependencies.
> The J2W piece doesn't have to be viewed as runtime dependencies.

Thats possibly true, i guess we just have to decide what functions
we're trying to achieve with the modularization structure.

On another thread we're talking about spiting out some Java
introspection code into a separate pluggable piece with interfaces and
factories, if we go that far just for some Java introspection you'd
think we'd at least want to do something similar for this wsdl
generation function - make the J2W implementation pluggable and
binding-ws isn't dependent directly on our particular J2W
implementation detail, so have an SPI extension point for wsdl
generation which binding-ws-xml can use instead of directly calling a
static method in binding-ws-wsdlgen.

> BTW, I don't see any dependencies to binding-ws-axis2 and
> binding-ws-axis2-policy though.

LOL, thats precisely what i was saying earlier - these are hard to
spot as soon as they're not from one explicit dependency in a single
module pom.xml. The problem in this case is that it results in two
cyclic dependencies - binding-ws-xml is merged to binding-ws so
binding-ws gets a static method call to binding-ws-wsdlgen,
binding-ws-wsdlgen has a dependency on binding-ws and
binding-ws-axis2-policy, binding-ws-axis2 also depends on
binding-ws-axis2-policy and binding-ws-axis2-policy depends on
binding-ws - hence you can't build binding-ws until
binding-ws-axis2-policy is built and vica-versa, and you can't build
binding-ws-wsdlgen until binding-ws is built and visa-versa.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Please see comments inline.
Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So how about
> >
> > contribution-metadata - I can never find this stuff
> > contribution (or core-contribution or contribution-runtime) for all
> > the spi/infrastructure type of stuff
> > contribution-xxxx
> >

> Thats starting to look much cleaner to me.
>
> There are three contribution-xxxx modules - contribution-java,
> contribution-namespace, contribution-osgi. Do we really need the -java
> and -namespace ones as separate modules? Unless there are real use
> cases or problems solved by keeping them separate i think they should
> be merged with one of the other contribution modules.
>
>   ...ant

In r773311 I've redone the module merge for this to include the svn history.
Now i'll review all the classes in that one module to try to work out what
should be there or moved to a separate module. The build is working for me
except fo a test fail on node-launcher-equinox, but that was failing for me
before these changes but i look at that too.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think we use the contribution service any more in 2.x. The workspace
> modules are now in charge of contribution processing.

That brings up an interesting point :-) Another place i think we can
be tidying up is with how the workspace, implementation-node and Node
APIs work. I was leaving this till after some of the other refactoring
threads have quietened down but as its come up here i'll start a new
thread about it - see the email "Node usage of the workspace and
implementation-node modules".

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> So how about
>>
>> contribution-metadata - I can never find this stuff
>> contribution (or core-contribution or contribution-runtime) for all
>> the spi/infrastructure type of stuff
>> contribution-xxxx
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Continuing with these changes, to clarify what we think are -metadata
> classes, spi/infrastructure, etc, it looks like we have the following
> functions in the contribution module:
>
> - model and xml processors for the sca-contribution.xml file
> - generic code shared by all the model/xml modules like
> BaseStAXArtifactProcessor
> - runtime contribution service classes
>
> so would it be reasonable to split the current contribution module up
> like that?
>
> Does the generic code like BaseStAXArtifactProcessor need to be in its
> own contribution-xxx module or could it be somewhere shared like the
> existing spi module?
>
>   ...ant

Ok,  looking at it now the name "contribution-metadata" seems a little
awkward so we could stick with "contribution" as the module that
models the contribution an (now) contains the code to do all the
processing to read and create that model.

I think we should have the support for import/export namespace and
java as separate modules as they implement extension points
independent of the actual contribution processing.

Re. the generic code classes. It's certainly shared by lots of other
modules which currently depend on contribution. We could fluff up
something like core-contribution. Do the core-* module though only
contain runtime things? Alternatively I could be persuaded just leave
it where it is.

Simon

Re: Merging model and model-xml modules into one

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think we use the contribution service any more in 2.x. The workspace
> modules are now in charge of contribution processing.
>
> The current tuscany-contribution module contains the model for
> Contribution/Artifact. It also defines the SPIs for contribution scanners,
> artifact processors, and model resolvers.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

We seem to have several things then...

contribution
  contribution metadata model

   contribution model
   artifact model - derived from scanner
   import model - derived from metadata
   export model - derived from metadata

   contribution scanner SPI - used to locate artifacts

   stax processing base support - seems like a strange place for it

   model resolver base support - again slightly odd place

contribution-xml
  contribution metadata processor

then we have several...

contribution.xxxx

where xxxx seems to vary between how imports/exports are processed
(java/namespace) and how OSGi contributions as a whole are treated
(osgi).

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My take on this is that contribution module is about contribution
> services, defining spis for these services, and extensions points,
> where contribution-xml is about providing support for handling
> sca-contribution.xml and sca-contribution-generated.xml files.

Ok that helps a lot. So it sounds like these contribution modules have
a different pattern to what we've had in the other modules which used
a module for the scdl model and another module for the model XML

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As i said in the previous mail the non-trivial ones remaining are:
>>> binding-ws-xml, contribution-xml, definitions-xml,
>>> implementation-java-xml,
>>> interface-java-xml
>>>

>> I'm not sure about definition-xml, but I wouldn't like to see
>> contribution-xml merged with contribution module.
>>

> Could you explain why you wouldn't like to see this? I've not looked
> at that model in any detail so that could well be correct but it would
> be helpful for now or anyone in the future looking for why things are
> the way they are if the technical reasons for decisions are on the
> mailing list.
>
>   ...ant

My take on this is that contribution module is about contribution
services, defining spis for these services, and extensions points,
where contribution-xml is about providing support for handling
sca-contribution.xml and sca-contribution-generated.xml files. I like
having the separation of concerns applied to these modules to avoid
confusion. Also, I don' t see any good technical reason and benefit of
merging these modules together.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
What are the things that are not completely trivial? It might be a warning
sign that the "merge" is complicating the dependencies.
If you can share one or two examples, we can discuss how we handle them in
concrete context.

We probably have to think about the modularity in a broader view. Sure, if
it's just for our standalone runtime, we can organize the
code in anyway we want. But taking the usage patterns from tools and other
vendors that want to reuse/embed Tuscany.

Some of the problems are related to how we use different scopes of the maven
modules as well as the transitive dependencies. For
example, we could have two different implementation for binding.ws (Axis2 or
JAX-WS), or two different HTTP hosts (Jetty or Tomcat).
To test a web service, we could choose one of them as the "test"
dependencies instead of "compile" or "runtime" dependency. Being careful
about the pom.xml will help us to minimize the dependencies.

Can you give us an example to show the runtime module is dragged in? We

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:45 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > What specifically in there could we not do if the code was in a single
>> > module?
>> >
>> >    ...ant
>> >

>> My concern with this change would be backward compatibility. I had
>> hoped we could use different versions of "?-xml" to loaded different
>> spec namespaces into a single consistent model. Have been trying to
>> finish up some other things to haven't got to doing any of this in 2.x
>> other than I think Luciano created separate assembly-xml  and
>> assembly-xml-osoa modules.
>>
>> Simon
>
> Ok and thats the same as what Luciano just mentioned in another post to this
> thread. So...if we had a way to enable/disable support for either namespace
> independent of pulling modules in/out of the classpath would that address
> this concern and then we would be ok to merge these modules?
>
>    ...ant

Let me just be clear here. There is no technical requirement to have
separate -xml modules assuming that the processor classes are in
unique packages. Even to support backward compatibility. The switch is
made by the entries in META-INF/services and it doesn't matter if
those entries are in one module or three. This is a question of
clarity and, as you point out, the ability to enable/disable features
by adjusting the classpath. I think it's clearer to have these modules
separate. Certainly at the moment while we are not so advanced on the
backward compatibility issue.

Simon

Re: Merging model and model-xml modules into one

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Why do we want to merge the model (xyz) with the model processing code
> (xyz-xml)? For simple extensions, it's fine to have the model and model-xml
> in the same maven module, but complex ones, such as assembly-xml,
> implementation-java-xml, I would rather leave them as separate modules. The
> model module can be used independent of the model-xml.
>
> Can you explain a bit the benefit to have them merged into one?

Because its simpler and more consistent, and i'm fairly sure the ones that
still exist aren't they for a specific reason they just remain as no one has
ever got around to merging them yet as has slowly been happening over time
with the ones that have already been merged. Why have them separate?