Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Andrew Hall <an...@totemic.co.uk> on 2010/11/17 11:46:16 UTC

Newbie Question - Wicket Session Growth

Hi - I'm new to Wicket & have been charged with evaluating if for my employer.

I've set up a very basic web application containing a login page as a test case. (Attached).

Running with Jetty (although the behaviour is the same in Tomcat) I've noticed that each refresh of my login page causes the session to grow by 2Kb. (Based on the assumption that the file called 'pm-null' represents the objects serialized in a session).

Although this is a small amount, I have seen a couple of posts raising concerns over session size in Wicket, and I think that this is a good opportunity to gain knowledge of the fundamentals of session management in this framework.

As far as I can tell, there are 3 mutually exclusive explanations for the growth in the session caused by successive refreshes of my login page:

1.       This is how Wicket's behaves and has to be accepted.

2.       There is something intrinsically wrong with the code that I have written.

3.       There is a bug in Wicket.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.

________________________________
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is provided for information purposes only.
Totemic Ltd is a limited company registered in England with registered number 02789854. Kempton House, Kempton Way, Dysart Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire NG31 7LE

Re: Newbie Question - Wicket Session Growth

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-3136 is marked as "to be fixed
in 1.4.14" but I personally didn't have a look what is the problem there.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
That would be great - just had to do another server reboot due to low
memory again.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Pedro Santos <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You has an statefull page in the quickstart, so each refresh generates a
> new
> page version. As you are tracking the file maintained by the DiskPageStore,
> you are seeing what is going on at the secondary memory: page after page
> versions being stored. You can use an stateless page if you don't want to
> see the diskPageStore file growing.
> The ticket is about the session referencing the pagemap, what was
> increasing
> the serialized session size.

DiskPageStore stores all versions of a page up to 10Mb.
The last n (5 by default) versions are stored in the HttpSession for faster
read when the user goes back (browser back button).

Posted by Pedro Santos <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Andrew Hall <an...@totemic.co.uk>wrote:

> Thanks Pedro -
>
> Yes, my test case was generated using the Wicket/Maven Archetype.
>
> I guess that what I was trying to get at was:
>
> - is the growth of the file (caused by successive refreshes of my login
> page) maintained by the DiskPageStore - ok in a Wicket application
> (specifically a login page)?

Is ok to see an statefull page being versioned and increasing the disk page
store file.
About the login page, I would prefer to have an stateless page (no need to
maintain state of pages in an not authenticated session). On your quickstart
for instance, just extend the LoginForm from StatelessForm instead from
From, and you will not see the file growing any more.

Posted by Pedro Santos <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.