Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Hermod Opstvedt <he...@opstvedt.com> on 2006/03/29 22:46:50 UTC

Struts 1.3 and Internationalization

Hi

What's the status of the Struts 1.3 branch with respect to
internationalization? In the 1.2 branch this was a "won't touch" issue. What
I am thinking about is amongst other things the ability to use comma as
decimal separator. Or is still "English only, please".

Also, and I know this is the wrong forum, does anybody know if validator
know supports "ALL" the struts specified resource bundles (including I18N).

Hermod

SV: Struts 1.3 and Internationalization

Posted by Hermod Opstvedt <he...@opstvedt.com>.
Hi

I know that that was one of the issues, and I use converters for this. OK,
maybe I will set up a test with the latest Struts and see If it is still an
issue, and if so file r.f.e

Hermod

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SV: Struts 1.3 and Internationalization

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/29/06, Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/29/06, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
> > I started to believe this, but now I disagree.
> >
> > It is only solvable with the current code if your application runs in
> > one Locale.  Struts does not provide a way to register instantaneous
> > conversion parameters (like the current Locale) -- registering a
> > converter with ConvertUtils has application-wide (actually JVM-wide)
> > scope, and would not be correct in the case that the same application
> > was handling floats that would have different decimal separators (to
> > use Hermod's example).
> >
> > The active locale must be passed in to RequestUtils.populate(...),
> > and in this case, compatibility seems like a lame excuse.
> >
> > Here's where the action happens:
> >
> > entrance to RequestUtils.populate(...):
> >
> http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/xref/org/apache/struts/util/RequestUtils.html#341
> >
> > The actual place where ActionForm properties are set:
> >
> http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/xref/org/apache/struts/util/RequestUtils.html#451
> >
> > I see no reason why all this code couldn't be pushed to a method
> > which takes a locale as an argument, and this method amended to call
> > that one with the system default locale.
>
> I would agree if we weren't recommending that people use Strings in
> the ActionForm [1].

Exactly. The "best practice" ever since Struts was created has been to use
strings for form fields, specifically so that you have the exact original
value to present to the user in an error situation. Once you bring other
data types into the picture, you can no longer guarantee that you can
redisplay exactly what the user (mis-)typed.

--
Martin Cooper

What I'm saying is that your form should have String values and

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SV: SV: Struts 1.3 and Internationalization

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
I thought Commons Validator contained a locale attribute
so that certain validations could apply accordingly.
Wouldn't this help him out?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.